Meridian 207A+B no sound - Z0869112PSC problem? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th February 2012, 02:58 AM   #1
seebert is offline seebert  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Meridian 207A+B no sound - Z0869112PSC problem?

Hi all. I have a working 207 combo that overheats when in that way over-cramped (but boutique looking) Meridian alloy extrusion case but plays fine out of it so long as ambient temp isn't too high. I got hold of another 207A/B combo untested and lucked out in one way as it came with the phono card (did Meridian ever make more then 3 of these?) and the player works but no sound. By substituting a known good board I found that it's the lower board that has a fault. I couldn't see anything untoward at first, but then in better light I see that the Z0869112PSC has a corner chipped off it - not a huge chip but not tiny either (pic later) and with no 'internals' showing at the crack edge. I have googled the chip and am as lost as ever - that's one old chip but apparently still available. Question: if the Z0869112PSC is faulty could it cause a complete absence of sound from the unit? There's no distortion, no low level anything, just zero sound.

I know there are guys on DIY who are very familiar with the 207 combo and would be really grateful for any input. It doesn't look as if the chip was overheated and how it got 'chipped' I have no idea, but perhaps if you know the circuit you might be able to suggest a failure elsewhere prior to the Z0869112PSC that could / would cause local overheating or failure.

Thanks in advance. Mike.
Old 10th February 2012, 06:49 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Guys, I'm not asking for a differential diagnosis of prostate cancer here - surely someone can tell me if a faulty Z0869112PSC chip could cause no sound output from the player. I may be inexperienced in servicing (okay then - I am inexperienced) but I'd guess a that a busted voltage regulator chip would / could create a no-sound problem, but I can'tfind any details on this other chip - I don't even know what kind of chip it is or what it does, just want to know IF could be responsible for no sound and if so I'll replace it. At $20 plus post I don't want to make a totally uninformed gamble. Help please?
Old 10th February 2012, 08:29 PM   #3
josha is offline josha  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi Seebert,

There's a snippet of info here but it's not all that revealing. It does suggest that the chip you mention is for pre/system control so I would suspect that a faulty one would cause the cdp to stop functioning altogether. It's an 8 bit micro-controller - specs here (toward the bottom).

Zero sound may suggest a PSU failure somewhere I guess, would it be possible to poke around with a multimeter? Make sure everything has power going to it? Work backwards from the line outs and see if you can trace the point at which the signal / power re-appears.

I'm not much help I'm afraid as I have zero experience of these players!
Old 12th February 2012, 01:04 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hi josha and thanks for the info and input. The 207 has got to be one of the most awkward CD units ever to 'play around with' as it's built on two piggy backed boards that are linked with ribbon cables ... and more ribbon cables ... and yet more ribbon cables I'll be trying the DMM approach and see what I can turn up. It's funny but Meridian made a lot of these 207 units but no one anywhere seems to have seen or got their hands on a schematic or service manual - seems Meridian didn't want anyone other than themselves delving into the innards

Hide this!Advertise here!