PCM 1792 vs. PCM 1794 vs. DSC 179x?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey, those guys are expanding their 1792 product family. The PCM 1794 seems to be a diy-friendly version of the PCM 1792 which has its modes set via pins rather than a serial port. Much like the PCM 1730, which is a pin controlled version of the PCM 1738. Nothing like consistency.....

Now, how do the newly announced DSD 179x compare to the PCM 179x? The PCM 179x play PCM but can also handle DSD. At a cursory glance, the DSC 179x are the same parts that play DSD but can also handle PCM.

Do the marketing guys at TI really think the OEM customers are incapable of handling the change in the mode via SPI or pin (parallel) interface? Or are they trying to be DIY friendly in trying to accomodate the most dim-witted solder iron slinger?

OK, I'm probably being overly sarcastic. Has anybody dicovered a significant difference yet?

capslock said:
Do the marketing guys at TI really think the OEM customers are incapable of handling the change in the mode via SPI or pin (parallel) interface? Or are they trying to be DIY friendly in trying to accomodate the most dim-witted solder iron slinger?

A company like TI wont care about the DIY'er... in fact they probably dislike them due to the amount of $$s they spend on shipping sample components out to them.

Its not that a SPI controled DAC is difficult to control, its just that OEMs then need to include a microcontroller which they might not have needed to otherwise.

I wouldnt be supprised if TI started producing the non-SPI parts due to OEM requests.

Sure, the non-SPI parts are great, both for commercial stand-alone apps as well as for diy.

What really threw me is that there are now instead of 2 parts 2x2=4 parts with the same specs and functionality, and the only difference between the PCM and DSD parts of the same part number seems to be the default mode (which can always be changed via SPI for the 92s and pin for the 94s). Did I miss an important technical difference?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.