Lampizator Transport

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I'm only new at the technical side of digital but the yellow wire is picking up the digital signal where it is purest, before d to a conversion.
A couple of resistors are used on the phono socket for level I think.
Read here it shows the mod done on a philips cd 940.

Fikustransport

"I wired the signal directly to the s/PDIF output - my newly installed RCA socket.
I tried it with the series cap and without, with the 75 resistor and without, and the conclusion is that no cap solution sounds best.
I used - starting from the source -> a wire, an L-pad to reduce the output by 1:4, -> 270 Ohms series to pin of RCA hot and from there -> 75 Ohms to ground,.
I eliminated the capacitor in series and the ugly signal transformer. Who needs transformer here ! It only distorts the signal. Who says galvanic isolation is necessary? This is not a telephone line buried under the desert. "

The trace is run close to ground on PCB's. The area of the resulted electro-magnetic loop is insignifiant. Proper termination with 75 ohm resistor limits further the influence of outside EM fields.
The "loop area" in the picture above is 10000 times bigger (between the wire and surrounding case). And no resistance termination at the connector - from what I can see.

This mod isn't new. Fikus posted it some years ago. I have tried it and it worked great on a similar DVD player. I used a different cap value (can't remember the value) and a 75ohm resistor. If you read Fikus' other stuff, you will note that he does use termination resistors. Sonic's comment about no ground return is "valid". You can add the ground yourself. I won't necessarily advocate doing such a mod on high end CD transports (Fikus does this even on top end CECs), but on a cheap and cheerful DVD player, why not.

Well, in his article "goldmundizator", Fikus claims proudly that when the CD is stopped spinning by finger, the signal continues for 2 secs . Amazing ?

I have a modded basic Sony DVD without draw used as transport. So I can remove the CD when it plays. Without the CD it still plays for 25 secs, twenty five, no typo. And honestly I don't have the feeling that it sounds like a top notch thing.

Well, in his article "goldmundizator", Fikus claims proudly that when the CD is stopped spinning by finger, the signal continues for 2 secs . Amazing ?

I have a modded basic Sony DVD without draw used as transport. So I can remove the CD when it plays. Without the CD it still plays for 25 secs, twenty five, no typo. And honestly I don't have the feeling that it sounds like a top notch thing.

DVD writers have like 8MB of cache? That's more than 25 seconds.

Last edited:
DVD player

The modd is a shame, a big one... On the picture CLPD is almost direct connected to the RCA, it is not a good idea (lack of impedance matching, increased possibility to kill of the CLPD etc....). I am provoding a link, check ar-t response to my question. It is about Duet digital output, but the story is very same: http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3161&page=7
Buy the way, I compared some modded dvd player (for example Sony DVP-NS900V) to my "old fashioned" Roksan Attessa transport. Roksan is better in any aspects, while Roksan lacks any BIGGGG FIFO ;).

Last edited:
Fikus said:
WE FIX THAT. We buy the most popular DVD player for 75 Euro, modify it to sound great and sell it here. We chose the SONY or PIONEER brands (depending on availability) because of their excellent build quality of laser assembly and electronics.

We add our markup and taxes and overheads and VOILA! You can enjoy a superb transport for under Eu 250

So he adds an RCA socket, wire and resistor, and this justifies a €175 increase in price?

At least he's honest about it. :rolleyes:

edit: Oh well, apparently some capacitors and damping mats too.

Last edited:
As I understand it, no cap is needed if you use a Lamp DAC. Otherwise the cap is there for more versatility in connection. 300ohm resistor is all that is needed for Lamp Dac owners.

Grounding done from negative leg of an electrolytic cap.

Here is feedback from the first ever digi-lampized DVD transport:

Feedback from a US pal:
As promised, my preliminary impressions of the Lampized 3910:

Background: "B" is the only person other than me who’s heard the Denon 2900 in my system. He indicated that he was just as amazed as I was at the compelling sense of “live” music that resulted when the 2900 replaced the Sony ES-5400 in my system.
The effect was not just “better” than anything previous, it was palpably, scarily, “live” in a way completely beyond anything I’d heard before. I could hear no trace of electronic artifacts or of “reproduced” sound. There were simply real, live people performing before us.
I wrote Lukasz yesterday that the 3910 had arrived but that I couldn’t imagine anything producing sound better than the 2900 did. He asked for my preliminary impressions when we meet later today.
Well, I replaced the 2900 with the 3910, gave everything 30 minutes to warm up, loaded the "Ultra CD", and pushed “play”.
Words are completely inadequate to describe the experience but I’ll try.
The sensation can only be likened to a 3-D, holographic, immersion in the venue. You’re not just listening to performers, you are with them, among them, and in them. This is, absolutely, not a “they are here” situation; it is, rather, and most emphatically, a “you are there” event.
It is stupefying to me how much better microphones are at capturing atomic, or sub-atomic, level sounds than I’d ever conceived. There are things going on in every recording I played that were not only absent before but beyond my capacity to imagine that they could ever be captured. The net result is hair-raising and goose-bumpy.
I could go on and on about how the Lampized Denon 3910 is better in EVERY SINGLE WAY than anything previous to my ears; in Audiophile-speak it would be:
1.) More extended and tighter bass.
2.) More extended and cleaner, clearer highs
3.) Wider, higher, and far deeper soundstage
4.) Unbelievable resolution.
5.) Unprecedented dimensionality and palpability (in my experience).
In the end though, it all adds up to: I just don’t want to stop listening.
Do whatever it takes to get hold of one of these.

Mace,

You are not forced to buy, you can do it yourself. Indeed, who else is giving away such free info? Have you seen the size of the Spdif tapping point? It is tiny and one slip and the whole unt is bricked! He takes a big risk in this mod and a certain percentage of DVDs will be lost in the process.

DVD has a natural advantage with the FIFO buffer, but the manufacturers mess it up by running the SPDIF signal thru unnecessary pathways and thus degrade the delicate signal. This is a method to tap the siganl at source and rescue it before it is degraded by the commercial implementation.

Proof of the pudding is in the eating/listening. I posted the feedback from my pal who has bought 2 of these devices for a total of $1,600 delivered and he will not part with either!

The modd is a shame, a big one... On the picture CLPD is almost direct connected to the RCA, it is not a good idea (lack of impedance matching, increased possibility to kill of the CLPD etc....). I am provoding a link, check ar-t response to my question. It is about Duet digital output, but the story is very same: Squeezebox Duet - Page 7 - The Art of Sound Forum
Buy the way, I compared some modded dvd player (for example Sony DVP-NS900V) to my "old fashioned" Roksan Attessa transport. Roksan is better in any aspects, while Roksan lacks any BIGGGG FIFO ;).

What exactly was the mod?

Its not enuff to say it was modded, as it could be that you changed the faceplate of swaaped out a single cap...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.