Lampizator Transport

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm not at all concerned about impedance matching or extremely unlikely "cpld damage". As long as the direct cpld out has enough current to drive the load, the cpld will be fine, and impedance mismatch does not necessarily, and usually doesn't, translate into worse sound. The digital cable I've been making & selling for the last fifteen years, which is wildly not 75ohms, and which no owner has yet reported beating, is pretty good proof of this.

My one BIG complaint about Fikus' work here, aside from his general sloppiness, is his choice of players, at least the Pioneers. Don't know about the Sony, but the model series of Pioneers he chose have TERRIBLE brush platter motors that I can say from experience have about a one year life expectancy with daily use. And the platter motor is only available as part of the quite expensive entire mech. The previous model generation would have been a hugely better choice.

Mace,

You are not forced to buy, you can do it yourself. Indeed, who else is giving away such free info? Have you seen the size of the Spdif tapping point? It is tiny and one slip and the whole unt is bricked! He takes a big risk in this mod and a certain percentage of DVDs will be lost in the process.

Come on, I can crank out 20 of these a day. Its just removing a SMD and soldering a wire to one of the pads. Its fairly easy if you know what you are doing.

I think the DV300, DV310 and DV320 are out of production but if I can find one I would give this a try.

I have a modded basic Sony DVD without draw used as transport. So I can remove the CD when it plays. Without the CD it still plays for 25 secs, twenty five, no typo. And honestly I don't have the feeling that it sounds like a top notch thing.

You should take everything that Łukasz says with a grain of salt.
His two seconds aren't equal to yours.

I think the DV300, DV310 and DV320 are out of production but if I can find one I would give this a try.

You don't want to but the DV-3XX...
The Goldmund has additional voltage stabilization in which the low end Pioneer isn't equipped with. Look for a DV-585 unit.

Mace,

You are not forced to buy, you can do it yourself.
Of course no-one is forcing anyone to do anything, that is not the point.

Indeed, who else is giving away such free info?
Who isn't? It's nothing special.
Have you seen the size of the Spdif tapping point? It is tiny and one slip and the whole unt is bricked!
I'm not impressed actually. Back in the day I used to fit PS2's with modchips, those are some small points. Today there are even finer electronics. This is really nothing special.

He takes a big risk in this mod and a certain percentage of DVDs will be lost in the process.
I'm not so convinced of that.

Don't get me wrong, it's not that he's doing anything terribly wrong, or fleecing his customers too bad or whatever. It's just that it's nothing worth noting and I don't see the justification for the 175 euro price increase.

Apart from this whole thing (general comment)
I enjoy reading Mr. Fikusz' website, he does some cool stuff, but some of the things he does are just complete nonsense. All I do is laugh a bit and move on.

So where exactly should the ground go?

To chassis?

To the ground side of a large cap?

Is a series cap required in the ground?

I happen to have a Pioneer DV-300 and I'd like to try this mod

It is NOT ground it is a path for the signal return, it should follow the signal as close as possible, twisted pair cable at least and connected to the PCB 0Vs as near to where the signal is taken from...
To omit this with a digital signal is very bad design practice in terms of signal integrity and EMC.....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.