SAA7310 I2s problems - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th February 2012, 08:02 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default SAA7310 I2s problems

trying to pull I2s from my Sa7310 chip directly to offboard Peter Daniels TDA 1543 and had some questions. If i remove the onboard chip and route the wires from vacated holes to my offboard chip, do i need to make any connections with the open holes on main board? Everything is wired properly and should be working, but nothing. THe DAC has its own PSU so i did not attach ground of seperate psu to ground pin on main board, assuming it was unnecessary, but have I broken a necessary link for the I2s lines. Normally they would be routed to ground through TDA chip present onboard.
Old 6th February 2012, 11:25 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

It usually needs the SAA7220 or SAA7320 DAC to provide the clock...
Old 7th February 2012, 12:27 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Bck, ws, and data are going to pins 1,2, and 3 resoectively. The question is whether the ground pin needs to be connected to the ground plain of the source of this lines versus what is now its own floating supply. The internal diagram shows a ground reference, which i have, but it is referenced to battery powered regulator and therefore not connected in anyway to main i2s signal board except for three i2s connections
Old 7th February 2012, 01:46 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Electricity neeeds two wires to flow. That is two wires for each signal.
Ground is a common return wire for all of them. If you don't have the ground connected, no current will flow.
Old 7th February 2012, 10:53 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Ok. Once i saw the internal it confirmed my suspicion. Would have been ok if using standard trafo based psu.
Old 7th February 2012, 11:53 AM   #6
marce is offline marce  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

The signals require a return current path, I2S is realy designed for use on a single PCB with one contigous ground. How are the return currents going to get back to the source without a GND connection. The best way would be to have a gnd return for each signal kept as close as possible, both through the wire and where they connect on the board.
Otherwise your signals are going to be messy, especialy the clock signal.
Old 7th February 2012, 11:59 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

How about the pin 8(V+)? Does it need to be jumpered onboard? I connected the offboard ground pin to the pin4 location onboard and still getting error when trying playback.

Last edited by buzzforb; 7th February 2012 at 12:07 PM.
Old 7th February 2012, 12:09 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Did you just asked if you need to connect the "V+" to the ground???
No offense, I think you are over your head in this project.
Old 7th February 2012, 12:38 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

None taken. Onboard, all pins had a reference to the ground plane through pin 4. With that chip pulled, i am running wires from onboard holes for pin 1,2,3 and 4. Now the offboard chip has ground reference to main board, with all pins having access to this point through pin 4. All should be working correct? Having a standalone regulated chip supply using a battery supply should not be causing any problems. So why an error signal? Is the fact that the now open pin 8 onboard is without a ground reference a problem?
Old 8th February 2012, 11:59 AM   #10
marce is offline marce  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

How long are the wires?

Hide this!Advertise here!