Replacing arcade 8-track audio with digital.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Sorry I can't do this in a short and sweet version, but want to make sure I'm accurate here.

I'm looking to re-create the audio system for old 1960's/1970's arcade gun game in a digital audio version. The originals used an 8-track player that had different tracks switched on and off for different sound effects, plus a background audio track, and a synthesized 'gunshot'.

I'd like to do this digitally, as the original hardware is often missing and almost none of the components are available for repair anyway, no sense in rebuilding a cheap 8-track system if you have to do it all from scratch anyway.

For the game I'm looking to do, which is "Sportsman" by Midway, it has the gunshot sound, the background audio, plus three different 'Hit' sounds that trigger when you hit the different targets. I don't need a high output, the original was only I think a 2w output. Maybe go up to around 8w at most, and run decent speakers. Given modern audio quality, I think just about anything I build will be clearer, higher quality, and louder than the original setup.

Output would be to a pair of speakers, due to the original configuration, but stereo would be pointless for this layout. Mono is perfectly fine here.

I'm looking at Electech's VP-1608F as a core chip for a new board layout, with the background sound on one output channel and the sound effects on the other. But I'm concerned about the gunshot sound. It needs to be very short in duration, reset quickly, and sequence properly with the target hit sounds. So I may need a three-channel setup.

However, I can only find the datasheets and background info on the VP-1608F, not a supplier. I have no idea on cost or availability. I'm open to suggestions for other ships to base it on.

-Hans

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.