Bel Canto with Flakey Philips VAM-1250 (?)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Not sure what is the exact problem here, but some discs just refuse to get read by my Bel Canto CD Player. Its about 60/40.. with 60 percent of the discs working great, and 40 just not being read and it coming out with a "No Disc" error. Since I know some basic electronics, I decided to open it up to see what was happening. I've never done anything with CD players but read up a bit to see what was going on.. basically with the discs that don't get read, the player acts just as though there is no disc in there.. with the laser moving up and down to focus a few times. I found that if I tap the pick up gently while it is trying to focus on one of the discs that does not work, the disc TOC will get read and it will play.

I am wondering if something got "shaken" loose or there is an adjustment problem here? I have not taken the player apart to see yet but It looks like a VAM-1250 or VAM-1202 in there. Am I barking up the wrong tree here or does it sound like I have a bad pickup?

NEVER USE ALCOHOL ON A LENS! It leaves a film & can harm any coating that might exist. Just fog the lens with breath & gently wipe with q-tip. No cleaning fluids of any sort- JUST BREATH.
But it sounds like your laser is going south, specifically the focus actuator suspension weakening. You'll have to find & install a complete VAM1250 unit.

Reviving an old thread - maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree. I've been fighting on and off with this player and have tried replacing the Laser unit 3 times and each time it works for a period of 1-2 weeks or so, then it craps out! Just says "no disc". Is there some sort of voltage problem or something that could cause this? It works great for a few days after replacement.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.