diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Digital Source (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/)
-   -   Diode swapping: ordinary diodes Vs. schotky (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/205974-diode-swapping-ordinary-diodes-vs-schotky.html)

Audio Maniac 4th February 2012 06:18 PM

Diode swapping: ordinary diodes Vs. schotky

I am thinking of replacing the ordinary diodes that comes in my DAC and integrated amplifier.

Is it worth replacing the existing diodes by schotky diode type? Will a rectifier with faster diodes brings better audio quality?

Can I just replace the existing ones when choosing schotky types or is it required a further modification?

AndrewGM 4th February 2012 07:16 PM

Yes !

Google 1N4002 or 4003's or whatever is in your kit already and read the spec sheets.
Check the values and then choose the schottky's to match.
Go higher in value if that's all you can find.

I started just buying the UF4007 ( ultra fast ) and there was a noticeable difference in my CD player.
The schottky types have turned out to be even better.

Nice easy mod - good gains;)

Audio Maniac 6th February 2012 02:15 PM

Thank you for your tip!

Do you recommend any specific brand of diodes?

Moreover, can I just swap the existing diodes or is it required a further modification on the rectifier?

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndrewGM (Post 2891837)
Yes !

Google 1N4002 or 4003's or whatever is in your kit already and read the spec sheets.
Check the values and then choose the schottky's to match.
Go higher in value if that's all you can find.

I started just buying the UF4007 ( ultra fast ) and there was a noticeable difference in my CD player.
The schottky types have turned out to be even better.

Nice easy mod - good gains;)

SoNic_real_one 6th February 2012 02:37 PM

I did use the SB line from Vishay.

Audio Maniac 6th February 2012 02:46 PM

Sonic_Real_One,

You are always helpful!
Thank you again!

Regards

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoNic_real_one (Post 2894232)
I did use the SB line from Vishay.

AndrewGM 6th February 2012 04:05 PM

That's an excellent link - thanks Sonic:)

( he knows a lot more than I do about this stuff ! )

btw - no other modifications needed - straight swap.

SoNic_real_one 6th February 2012 05:41 PM

You're welcome :)
Pay attention to yor required voltages - don't go too much over what you really need as reverse voltage, the direct voltage drop is increasing (in steps) with the reverse one.

AndrewGM 6th February 2012 06:41 PM

Hi Sonic

What are the consequences of going too far over ?
Is it audible or just plain dangerous ?
As an example - I've just put larger caps in an amplifier power supply and automatically ( and without much thought ) added larger faster diodes to cope.
I went from 1A 200 V to 4A 600 V rating.

There's no black smoke yet and it sounds better.

but...am I safe ?

Many thanks

SoNic_real_one 6th February 2012 11:52 PM

There is less "benefit" from running a Schottky diode. One that is "closer" of your limits will have lower voltage drop and lower heat disipation.
But yes, bigger caps (especially with low ESR) will require higher i2t values. Not so much higher reverse voltage (like from 200V to 600V).
Of course there is no risk of "smoke" if you go higher :)

Audio Maniac 7th February 2012 01:24 AM

The retifyiend electrolytic capacitors of both integrated amplifier and DAC are respectively Nippon Chemicon and Rubycon's. Will I need lower ESR capacitors if I decide to use schottky diodes?