Diode swapping: ordinary diodes Vs. schotky - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th July 2012, 06:29 AM   #31
diyAudio Member

Default I have read that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gootee View Post
Oh, also, after doing a little more reading, I find that high-spreed rectifiers are much less noisy than low-speed ones, in terms of spewing RF. But the high-speed ones should also be the "soft recovery" type.

try putting capacitor film type usually .01uf or .1uf in parallel and soldered it as close as possible to the rectifiers or onto its leads.
Old 26th July 2012, 05:32 AM   #32
gootee is offline gootee  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drowranger View Post
try putting capacitor film type usually .01uf or .1uf in parallel and soldered it as close as possible to the rectifiers or onto its leads.
You can do much better than that by adding a series resistor, to make it into a snubber network.

Here is the the post with the practical method for choosing the optimal snubber component values:

paralleling film caps with electrolytic caps
Old 26th July 2012, 05:53 AM   #33
diyAudio Member

Default ok I will

Quote:
Originally Posted by gootee View Post
You can do much better than that by adding a series resistor, to make it into a snubber network.

Here is the the post with the practical method for choosing the optimal snubber component values:

paralleling film caps with electrolytic caps
thanks,
joel
Old 26th July 2012, 08:52 PM   #34
tvrgeek is offline tvrgeek  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephensank View Post
You should not have seen a reduction in 60 or 120Hz noise level going to soft recovery diodes(hexfreds, etc.), unless your original rectification was almost impossibly bad. As has been described above, the point of using soft recoveries is about *not adding* any high frequency noise to the supply. Standard silicon diodes have a lot of ringing as they stop & start conducting with each wave cycle, generating HF noise, which even the best electrolytic caps are not very good(i.e., NEVER 100% effective) at filtering out. So, what should have been noticeable when you changed to them, if the amp is otherwise reasonably well done, is smoother high end and perhaps "blacker" background(lack of low level grunge). This effect is actually FAR more evident in preamps & other lower level circuits.
I did measure considerable overall reduction of noise on the rails. But lower 120 Hz and up as well. I guess if this is so more evident in low level stages, then it means the regulators are that poor. Believable. Hard to characterize the amp in total as the process ended in different outputs and a total change in compensation circuits. It has considerably wider BW and 4 fewer caps in the circuit.

Hide this!Advertise here!