Digital in on CD player - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd September 2003, 10:22 AM   #1
Sjef is offline Sjef  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Default Digital in on CD player

Does anyone have any experience with building a digital input into a CD player ??

My player (a marantz CD63) has got a digital output. I have experimented with a digital equalizer for a couple of days and really like what it can do to my system. You loose some sound quality but can gain a lot at the same time.
Bass quality improves a lot and the midrange becomes much more coherent but it looses some of the atmospere and imaging however.

The problem is that the DA converter and/or analog output stage in the EQ (Behringer DEQ2496) isn't half as good as the heavily modified DAC in the Marantz player itself. I would like to know if it's possible to put the digital out of the EQ back into the players DAC ??
Old 22nd September 2003, 12:18 PM   #2
A 8 is offline A 8  Sweden
diyAudio Member

You would need a reciever chip like the CS8412/14 and some switching logic to re-route the clock and datalines.

Perhaps it would be better to build an outboard dac.
Old 22nd September 2003, 12:30 PM   #3
Sjef is offline Sjef  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

I expected that answer, but I don't want to build a seperate DAC. To build a seperate DAC (I heard lot's of them) that sound equal or better than the modified Marantz DAC would cost me a lot of money and trouble. Besides, I don't want an extra box. The CD player allready has it's own seperate powersupply and I really don't want to end up with a three box CD player.

Somehow it should be possible to build in a digital insert in the player. Anyone ??
Old 22nd September 2003, 03:38 PM   #4
guido is offline guido  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Check out the chipset first!

I'm not shure (!), but i think it uses a decoder chip with dig filter inside. This would mean that you need more than the receiver, u also need a dig. filter to feed the DAC with oversampled data.

Greetings,
GuidoB
Old 22nd September 2003, 06:24 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Digital in on CD player

Quote:
Originally posted by Sjef
Does anyone have any experience with building a digital input into a CD player ??

My player (a marantz CD63) has got a digital output. I have experimented with a digital equalizer for a couple of days and really like what it can do to my system. You loose some sound quality but can gain a lot at the same time.
Bass quality improves a lot and the midrange becomes much more coherent but it looses some of the atmospere and imaging however.

The problem is that the DA converter and/or analog output stage in the EQ (Behringer DEQ2496) isn't half as good as the heavily modified DAC in the Marantz player itself. I would like to know if it's possible to put the digital out of the EQ back into the players DAC ??

You will need to know the location of the clock and data lines of the dac chip in the CD63 (SM5872?) at the very least. Having cut the connection to dac, you can either add a SPDIF transmitter and receiver or keep the clock and data lines apart and buffer then before sending them the EQ but this will require modification in the EQ. With a bit of added logic you can set things up in such a way that the internal path is automatically re-established when there is no incoming SPDIF signal.

ray.

Hide this!Advertise here!