Decent (cheap) optical to analogue DAC - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd February 2012, 12:36 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Decent (cheap) optical to analogue DAC

Ok, the use case isn't exactly a poster child for high quality- its to hook up some Apple TVs to amplified speakers. The Apple TV only has optical out, the speakers only have analogue in.

So I got a cheap DAC (this one: Digital Optical Coaxial to Analog RCA Audio Converter | eBay) and it works fine. BUT, instead of the Apple TV that location used to have an Airport Express instead & now the volume is significantly lower.

So the DAC is outputting a lower power signal then the Airport Express. This is annoying, as the speakers are now borderline too quiet.

So, I'm after a reccomendation for a cheap (well under $100, prefer ~$50) DAC that has a higher level output then the existing super cheap one .

Other ebay options include:
Digital Optical Coaxial to Analog RCA Audio Converter INC Power Pack Brand NEW | eBay

DIY Digital Optical SPDIF to HIFI Analog RCA Converter | eBay

Pro TDA-1305A decoder coaxial toslink optical to analog | eBay

NEW Digital Optical Coax to Analog L/R Audio Converter | eBay

Gefen Optical Digital Coaxial to Analog Audio Converter | eBay

But I am open to any suggestions!
Old 4th February 2012, 03:54 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

no-one has any ideas/options on what I should look at?
Old 5th February 2012, 12:29 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

according to this site: Apple AirPort Express

the airport express is just over 2v output, and I suspect the dec I'm using is lower then that. so, anyone know a cheapish DAC with ~2v output?

Hide this!Advertise here!