Upgrading CD player DAC (AD1855)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a Nakamichi MB-100 car CD player here, it has a digital out and separate DAC unit I'm looking to improve/modify if possible. The unit takes 2 SPDIf signals uses a 74HC153 to select and route to the Digital receiver chip a Yamaha YM3436D. This then outputs to an Analogue Devices AD1855 DAC with uPC4570 op-amps doing the final I/V conversion before the signal disappears into an analogue EQ section.

So my question is there a relatively simple way to improve on this setup. Would the AD1852 give a significant improvement, I know the receiver will limit me to 24bit 48k signals being passed to the DAC but the S/N ratio and general quality of the 1852 would be better if they are a direct replacement. I assume de-coupling caps sprinkled liberally on supply rails to everything would only improve matters and could the 4570 be improved upon?

Thanks for any advice, would schematics and pics of the board help at all with peoples advice? Its a fairly archaic piece of kit but it suits my purpose very well.

Here's a link to my upgrades to the analog section of the Nakamichi MB-10 (just for reference):

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digi...chi-mb10-oms5-output-section.html#post5156024

I made no effort to replace the AD1855 DAC, since it's SMD, good enough for Redbook audio, and I had probably already reached my point of diminishing returns for a CD-P for which I had paid ~$60. If you want to replace the DAC on the MB-10, I'd suggest using the digital audio connector instead, and routing the signals to a separate daughter card with any modern DAC like the ES9023 or whatever.

I did some work to a car deck, and it was similar to what linuxguru had done, with a primary focus on the out put area and power supply. I was able to get dip8 sockets jumpered to the board and used some popular op amps, better decoupling.

The results were better than expected and probably overkill for a car.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.