Sony CDP-701ES number 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st February 2012, 01:17 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Sony CDP-701ES number 2

Well pretty much concluding that the first of two is shot. its going to be stripped down for parts as i cannot obtain the pickup, or even get parts to rebuild the pickup.

Any CD repair buffs out there?

So I moved on to player #2. Had a stuck drawer and a stuck sled motor. I fixed both of those issues.

But it doesnt detect the CD. it accepts it, clacks 3 times, and spits the disc back out.

Soo, i bypassed the disc sense LED, and i watched the laser diode come on and the lense move up and down 3 times and give up. So that means the focus servo amplifier works.

Put the disc back in, and did some tests against the service manual, the photodiode focus error amplifier is spot-on when in search mode and being reflected off the disc. The voltages are spot on. That means the laser is being reflected, and the right amount of power/level is coming back from the laser. So i ruled out the optical pickup.

But it never exits search mode, and never locks the focus servo. Hmmm....

so i started probing around some more, and found the mirror detector amplifier (whatever that is) calls for +11v in the service manual, I had -9.8v. Way off....

So i removed the wire connecting the output of the op-amp to the servo board and it jumped to -10.8v.

both inputs of the op-amp is 0v, so that concludes the TL072 is shot.

So on the servo board where the MIRROR signal was hooked to, its at +11.6v, so thats normal.

So with the mirror detect wire removed from the defective op-amp, still makes no difference. clacks 3 times, gives up. Pulled 11.6v to 0v to simulate mirror detect, no difference.
Old 7th February 2012, 12:53 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Ok, I figured i would give you guys some updates since no one really is chiming in on these old gems.

I managed to fix the CDP-701ES. The second one anyway.

Turns out, I couldnt pull the focus error out of the negative. The signals coming from the photocell was weak.

So, I took the other pickup from CD player 1 which had the fried objective lense mechanism, and it tried to lock. when i would bring a CD near the lense.

So i took both pickups, and built one. I took the lense assembly from the first pickup unit, and placed it on the second pickup unit, and re-installed the pickup. BAM focus lock acheived.

I had to recalibrate the servo circuits only slightly, and re-adjust the power level down a bit. Once i did this, it plays!

So curiosity killed the kitty, i fully disassembled the other pickup unit, and turns out one of the polarizor films mounted on the prism is fogged up. deteriorated, blocking most of the return path energy to the photodiode assembly.

Word for the wise.
Old 7th February 2012, 02:40 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

I think I am going to take this parts unit and shelve it for a rainy day.

I definately have to replace the shorted servo amplifier, But being the hacker that I am, I wonder if fitting a KSS head would work? most people would say no, but i dont take no for an answer. ever.

So, What I am thinking about doing is milling/machining down the old laser head to be a support/bracket to hold a KSS with adjustment screws to bring the KSS head to the right distance and position to the disc.

then rewire the player to match the KSS. I would use the original KSC laser output driver to run the KSS diode.

the KSS is a 3-beam pickup, but I can eliminate E/F and just use detectors ABCD and it would work fine. The gain factor of the KSS is probably 10-fold over the old original KSC-100A, so im pretty sure it would require a realignment of the RF/Servo amplifiers.

But i really cant see a viable reason why it wouldnt work.... plus the cheapo KSS newer style pickups are plentiful and being copied as well. Why not?
Old 9th February 2012, 01:34 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

So I don't mean to hijack your thead but you seem like you may be able to help me (if you want). I have a sony cfd-757 cd boombox.

I was getting a disc error and figured if I just swapped out the laser then I would be good. I just can't find the laser model to use. Do you know how I would go about finding this info?

Any advice would be helpful

Hide this!Advertise here!