USB dac and ipod question - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd February 2012, 01:40 AM   #11
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

haha they spelt it wrong and so did I, its called the AlgoRhythm Solo, which is a more logical play on words i guess
Old 2nd February 2012, 01:49 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
the ipad is a slightly different story, you can use this with the apple camera connection kit to connect to certain usb 1.1 and 2 dacs, as long as the transceiver and dac/amp is either self powered and sets this register, or has a transceiver that has sufficiently low current draw as to stay within the current limit set by the ipad. it will of course not work with any dac that uses a driver that is not the native USB audio codec.
The ipad -> usb source is something I've wanted to try for a while. Have you tried it? Did it work? Was there any problems with say playing files with different sampling rates etc? I'm thinking of when you say watch some video content that would usually be encoded at a different sample rate to audio files. I've not had a chance to read up on this scenario but it's on my 'future searching/reading list'.

Its worth noting to avoid the iBias () that Android 4.0 (ICS) and 3.1 (Honeycomb) source code supports the requisite USB audio codecs. I haven't had an opportunity to try this out yet either. I believe being able to access this is still hardware dependent so not every device having the necessary software can enable the connection. In the same way as iOS version is not an indicator of compatibility of an iDevice, for reasons described by qusp.
Old 2nd February 2012, 02:10 AM   #13
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

yeah it works fine, ive actually got a spare camera connection kit if you want to borrow it? it does depend quite heavily on the dac. Actually now since a recent revision in iOS and the UAC2 codec, 24/96 is available using some third party player apps, being that with the advent of UAC2 24/96 is backward compatible with UAC 1.1 which doesnt have the bandwidth for higher than 24/96 like 4 x 32/384 or 8 x 32/192, but will support 24/96 just fine. the wind must be blowing in the correct direction and the stars in alignment for this to work.

i've actually hacked open one of the camera kits i have here and plan to spin a pcb with a UAC transceiver and i2s convertor with the correct register set and self powered. ideally i wanted to have this done for the portable sabre, but i may add it later at some point. the ubiquitous Ti PCM270X series works reliably with the correct setup, i would like to isolate ground and splice in power for the receiver by use of the ADuM4168, which has been proven to work with the 270X with other designs.

I will say though, that although it works, the transmission line termination, connectors and clocking scheme needed to achieve this is not ideal and doesnt always sound that great depending on the dacs USB implementation, but sounds pretty acceptable with titan and the ackodac

seems to work fine with movie rentals from the itunes store, but i havent played extensively with it, as my primary portable transport is an iriver iHP 120 (compact flash modded to 32gb SD) which avoids all this, but is limited to 16/44.1. plus i love the wired remote! because it means i only need access to that clipped on a shirt pocket with the rest of the rig in my manbag
Old 2nd February 2012, 09:43 AM   #14
juanito is offline juanito  Europe
diyAudio Member

Well i'm geting lost here... I only wanted something to connect an Ipod to the amplifier with its original digital data an giltered with a DAC. As far as I understand this can be achieved with a dock like wadia or pure Or onkyo. Then a DaC. And then to the amp via rca cables.
If I could do this with other mp3 players like the sony NW HD5 it would be perfect. I like from this player the lossless ATRAC files.
By the waywhat is this dac I2s USB from kqtc?
Old 2nd February 2012, 09:45 AM   #15
juanito is offline juanito  Europe
diyAudio Member

I meant QNKTC, sorry. It looks a plug and play usb DaC with out power mains.
Old 2nd February 2012, 10:11 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by juanito View Post
Well i'm geting lost here... I only wanted something to connect an Ipod to the amplifier with its original digital data an giltered with a DAC. As far as I understand this can be achieved with a dock like wadia or pure Or onkyo. Then a DaC. And then to the amp via rca cables.
If I could do this with other mp3 players like the sony NW HD5 it would be perfect. I like from this player the lossless ATRAC files.
By the waywhat is this dac I2s USB from kqtc?
Well you're on a diy forum so people are suggesting diy solutions.

You asked about plugging usb from ipod to a usb dac, this is different to going via a dock.

I honestly have no idea what commercial solutions there are out there.

To paraphrase qusp's earlier post: digital out of an ipod is exceedingly rare, digital out of an ipad is far easier via usb.

I have no idea what output options may be available from the sony you mention.

Hide this!Advertise here!