Replacing NE5532 in a Sony CDP-XA3ES‏.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Seeking warmth and good sound, because sometimes I found this CD player sterile and overly analytical, somewhat harsh and fatiguing.
Is it a good idea to try to replace the NE5532 op amp in my Sony CDP-XA3ES?
What do you recommend? improve the sound?
OPA627, AD826, BD2134? Should I use the same for the I / V and the output buffer?
Someone has done on this CD player?
Any better to add? Capacitors, etc..

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Opa 2604 on output would probably be reasonable starting point towards what you are looking, that's what sony used in XB 930 UK edition i have. Or, you could check the swap meet, there is someone selling his zapfilters right now. If you decide to go that route, it will take it to completely different levels.

Best,
T.

Last edited:
+ 1, Yes. While you are there, please also consider changing those cheap cinch's with something better and upgrading your clock, it made a big difference in my Sony at the time. Install DIP sockets and you can try different opamps until you are happy with the marriage with the rest of your system and your ears.

Happy tweaking!

Almost any newer generation OpAmp will fair better as I/V converter. Or have better results as filtering stage.
Not at all , few if any op amp can match the 5532/5534 as I/V converter.

Opa 2604 on output would probably be reasonable starting point towards what you are looking, that's what sony used in XB 930 UK edition i have.

OPA2604 has higher noise and distorsion than the 5532...

Before You replace the op amps there are other mods you could try.
I have not found a schematic (that I could download for free)!
But looking at your photo has the CD player output stage seems to have muting transistors. If they are muting transisitors they will probably be positioned in the circuit to pull down the outputs. If so, these usually can be removed.
You could probably also remove any DC blocking capacitors if you check that there are no excessive DC offsets.:)

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Again I doubt arise. LM4562 or OPA2134.
I'm going crazy. At the end buy a new player.

Why doubt ? I thought you liked the player :)

The OPA2604 is the one to go for if you want the most "analogue and non fatiguing" sound.

The OPA2134 is less coloured but we are talking subtleties.

Either should easily better the 5532's fitted.

I havn't evaluated the LM4562 so can't comment on that one.
For what these parts cost and the few minutes it takes to swap them I can't see the problem tbh :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.