DAC experts - please advise

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am currently building an open baffle 4 way system that will require a serious active crossover and eq. Most of the commercial units that I am looking at (baringer, etc) are digital, and have a decent DAC built in. However, my source is a PC where I store and manage high quality recordings, and this will not change (I will upgrade the power supply, etc). So for a long time I have been considering the Lynx L22 or Lynx Two for the DAC duty. However, there is a third option to go with an "audiophile" standalone DAC. So my question is, should I get the best soundcard I can afford, to D/A conversion there, then send it to a crossover where another A/D D/A will take place, or do I get a so so digital interface for the PC and send digital to the crossover and to D/A there? Please advise. I would also like to hear your recommendations on brands and products. Thank you!!!

jwb said:
I think it's pretty obvious that 1) the D/A conversion on a sound card will have interference from the computer, and 2) the extra conversion in the crossover is undesireable. Go with the direct digital output to the crossover.

Are there specific products that are better for this then others? Also, wheat about the high-end workstations that are used in studios for conversion. They utilize interference shielding and linear power supplies. Shurely this would help here?

I second the idea of an external DAC. Trying to use the computer's power supply alone is a losing battle. Check out the review of that Marchand in-computer amp for some graphic examples. (AudioXpress, can look up the issue if you are interested)

I would say this is a perfect situation to use a cheap soundcard and 4+ channels of digital out, with the crossovers done on the PC. You can use "dumb" DACs and maintain digital all the way up to the speaker without having to buy an expensive unit like the Behringer. If I was willing to put a computer in my listening room I would definitely do it this way.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.