AES/EBU Connection

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The 110R interface has been much criticised but appears standard on pro equipment.

I am wondering whether other 110R connectors exist which can be used to replace the standard plug and socket. What about 2 BNC 50Rs in series connected by 50R cables to replace a single 110R aes/ebu receptacle? Has anyone tried?:bigeyes:

The only way it would work, and keep good signal integrity, would be to use a pair of 50 cables, wrapped together, and individually terminated in their respective connector. There would be too big of a discontinuity if you tried to do that with a 110 twisted pair.

But then, there already is a large discontinuity when you go into an XLR.

I am not aware of any, but that does not mean that they don't exist somewhere. The problem you will run into is that the cable and connector have to have physical dimensions very close to each other, or you get that nasty discontinuity when you break the cable out to terminate it.

Some RF connectors, Type F being one, actually use the cable itself as a male connector. Solves a lot of reflection problems, especially at higher frequencies.

Jocko

fmak,

The applicable standard is called AES/EBU standard, is 110 ohm +/- 20%.

The standard XLR (aka cannon or microphone connector) gets a bad rap.

If you would like to do a top noth job, use, use a quality XLR connector, I like the Neutrik brand. Also use a true 110 ohm cable, I would suggest Belden 1800A.

It is a reasonable solution., at a reasonable cost.

Regards,

Aud_Mot

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.