Micromega drive 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th January 2012, 06:07 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Micromega drive 2

Just got one of these given not working, the led's flash for around 2min's on switch on then proceeds to display err, the cd drive when ejected just closes straight away and when a cd is put in nothing happens, cd does'nt spin nor do'es the laser spin. Could all these problems be linked to a dead transport?

Thanks
chris
Old 14th January 2012, 06:19 PM   #2
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Is this the one that looks like the MM Stage 1,2 and 3 etc but is just a transport. If so it uses the CDM 12.4 laser and Philips L1210/65/68 mech.

I've got a Stage 2, good player.

The transport and laser are separate items in a way. You need to confirm operation of any limit switches/microswitches on the drawer and also make sure the laser is at its rest position. If the drawer ejects and won't stay out it sounds a mechanical problem rather than electronic although the flashing LED's don't sound good.
Old 14th January 2012, 08:46 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Yep thats the one, i know that its the 12.4, i've just never seen a failure like this in my limited experience with cd lasers. you dont happen to have a schematic for one do you?
Old 15th January 2012, 06:57 AM   #4
diyAudio Moderator

I have no diagrams for these unfortunately.

It doesn't sound like a pure laser issue.

It's worth switching it off and turning the worm gear under the pickup to move the laser away from the centre of the disc. Then power up with no disc and see if it returns to the rest position OK. The laser itself should then do a focus search (lens up/down 3 times very rapidly on the CDM12.4)
Old 16th January 2012, 03:20 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Ok, tried the complete transport from a marantz cd67 (its a cdm12.1). This time the tray stays open and the disc spins, still displays err. Checked the voltage rails 2x17v and 1x 5v this to me is correct, cannot think of where to go from here without a schematic.
Old 16th January 2012, 05:12 PM   #6
diyAudio Moderator

This could be confusing.

If the "loader assembly" is the same then it's fine to swap that.

Also the "laser chassis" that includes the motors and microswitches is the same too between the CDM12.1 and 4.

I seem to remember that the "magnetic polarity" of the CDM12.1 platter is "opposite" to the CDM12.4 That means the original loader disc clamp would be repelled by the platter.

The biggest problem though is that the CDM12.1 pickup itself is totally incompatable with the CDM12.4

I am not quite sure what you have done here... if you have tried to connect the 12.1 it won't work and may generate an error message.

The CDM12.4 laser incorporates an on board IC, the TDA1302T from memory. It is totally different.
Old 16th January 2012, 05:26 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

What i did was take the complete assembly out of the 67 and put this in the drive 2, as the switches don't seem to work on the original drive 2 and i wanted to see if it was the laser and mech not something else, i didnt realise that the lasers are incompatable.

So seems like this is a completely dead drive then?
Old 16th January 2012, 06:14 PM   #8
diyAudio Moderator

It's still not conclusive as to what is happening.

There are two distinct parts to the laser assembly.
There is the pickup that has the single foil connector. And there is the "laser chassis" or frame that has the spindle motor, the sled motor and a microswitch.

If you have swapped the main loader assembly,
http://www.daisy-laser.com/products/...v1.0daisy2.pdf

and the fault symptom has changed then it may be worth plugging the CDM12.4 (pickup only) into the PCB (if the foil will reach) while keeping the replacement loader fitted.

Is the laser microswitch (the one the laser pickup pushes against next to the spindle motor) closed ?

If the CDM12.4 laser is faulty then the usual symptom is "no disc" on the display.

As far as I know there is no "error reporting" as such from the pickup. Nothing is monitored.
The Micromegas can give the ERR display when something like a damaged CD is played and the player loses lock and the disc takes off at a million miles an hour.

If all the loader microswitches are giving the correct info (and you have swapped it) then a duff laser on its own I wouldn't have thought would have shown as a fault. It would just always say no disc or attempt to play it and then give ERR.

In post #1 you say the LED's flash. Which LED's ?
Old 16th January 2012, 09:09 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooly View Post
It's still not conclusive as to what is happening.

There are two distinct parts to the laser assembly.
There is the pickup that has the single foil connector. And there is the "laser chassis" or frame that has the spindle motor, the sled motor and a microswitch.
Now the kids are in bed i have more chance to think, i took the frame and laser i.e all of it out of the 67 and put it into the drive 2 thinking they were perfectly interchangable.

So instead of now doing nothing the cd now spools up but then the motor stops for a split second and then spools up again and so on, because of the incompatable laser obviously, which brings me back to the switches as i have checked all motors and they work.

The flashing red led's are the top row where it displays 'drive'.
Old 17th January 2012, 06:46 AM   #10
diyAudio Moderator

I really don't know what to suggest tbh.

I always thought the LED's (in that centre window) were permanently fed and just illumination. Same for the bright red LED's that illuminate the buttons. Are they lit and steady ?

When the red LED's flash is it just random or do they look to be under some proper control... a definite regular on/off/on/off.

With the CD67 loader fitted and the foil connector disconnected does the tray work correctly ? The main PCB must see the laser end stop microswitch as closed.

Another thought. The wires (on the Stage anyway) are very fragile. If they have been pulled around at the sockets rather than the plugs themselves then there could be a break somewhere.

Really don't know what else to suggest on all this.

Hide this!Advertise here!