Newbie Needs Help - Buffalo 32S - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th January 2012, 02:34 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Newbie Needs Help - Buffalo 32S

Hi Guys, I could really use some help - I need someone with some expierance to take me under his wing , I have a Buffalo 32S board and I have a question . I have looked at the Buffalo threads and they are very long and confusing for a newbie .... can I add a tube output to my " Buffalo 32S " - or is that hard to do and - or a compromise ??? Should I try to sell it and buy the New model to more easily add a tube stage output - - - I would like it to have a tube stage output - similar to what lampizator descibed. THANK YOU for any help, dean - hallcon83
Old 14th January 2012, 03:01 PM   #2
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

i would not bother trying to make it work with the 32s, it has an onboard opamp based IV stage, so while you could conceivably disable it and hack the board to tap the signal;, it seems like a lot of wasted effort to me, if you are willing to buy the new board, thats what i would do. well i wouldnt add a tube IV stage, but thats just me =) i like solid state and tubes are hard work with sabre imo, its difficult to present a low enough input impedance to get good performance ie. current mode is near impossible to achieve.

i would do some research here before implementing anything from the lampizator as well.... dont get me started on that subject

Last edited by qusp; 14th January 2012 at 03:05 PM.
Old 15th January 2012, 04:22 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thank you for your help !!! Have you heard it? - What do you think of the Buffalo 32S ??? I am a little lost ... I want to build the best DAC for the buck I can ... and thought this would be the way to go ... what is the best you have heard or built??? what would you recomend? _ THANK YOU for your input!, dean
Old 2nd May 2013, 12:49 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hello Guys,

sorry for resurrecting this old thread but it fits my concern pretty good so I did not want to start a new one...

A few weeks ago I bought an old personal computer out of a "Recylcing Center" which by happenstance included the Juli@'s digital part and a Buffalo 32S Board (Version 1.0). At first I wanted to sell both parts but the more I am reading about it the more interesting it gets to get the parts back to life and use them by myself.

The only problem is, that I am not very skilled in electronics and because of this I need your help at some points.

At first I want to show you some pictures to point out how far I was able to get up to now.

In this condition I found the parts in the secondhand PC (most of the cables were soldered very bad and were shortly before tearing completely off):

Click the image to open in full size.

So I decided to unsolder everything and set the boards back to their point of origin. In an other DIY Forum I could find some kind of a wiring diagram so I got to this point (the Juli@ and Buffalo wiring should be done!?):

Then I have found a pico PSU (don't know which type of PSU it is and I also don't know which potential and which current I can get at which pins).

Should I desolder the red cable? I don't know what the previous owner did do there.

To come to an end - here is my final question: Can you please explain to me where I have to tap which potential (maybe how to measure it) and where the cables at the Buffalo DAC have to be mounted?

Every little help is more than welcome (this is the third forum in which I am posting - up to now poorly without any result).

Thank you in advance!

Greetings
Nils

Last edited by Nils1987; 2nd May 2013 at 01:08 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!