Best sounded DVD Player (used) only for Video DVDs with longest life time wanted - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th January 2012, 04:56 PM   #11
sbrads is offline sbrads  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua_G View Post
Please let me jump on the wagon.
What is/are the DVD player/s with the best sound quality and with at least decent video quality?
I don't mind much the reliability of the laser, or the drive unit, since I'm willing to replace them every now and then.
At the cheap end I would say Panasonic.
Old 13th January 2012, 05:00 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

I agree that sometimes manufacturers cut corners in the weirder places. Denon put a lot of costs in the digital audio processing (DSP upsampling) and video sections and used cheaper OpAmps and lasers to compensate. OpAmps are the first that I replace in a player.

Maybe in the lasers case they didn't have other choise. Even Pioneer/Panasonic, that you say it used to have better lasers, caved in to the market.
Old 13th January 2012, 05:40 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrads View Post
At the cheap end I would say Panasonic.
I'm interested in sound quality first and video quality second, not in lowest price.
What model(s) do you have in mind?
Old 13th January 2012, 08:16 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Denon DVD-3930 (or DVD-5910) will beat any Panasonic. With slightly better OpAmps are perfect - in my opinion.
And on second-hand market they are accesible priced - owners that go to the bluray crap.

Last edited by SoNic_real_one; 13th January 2012 at 08:42 PM.
Old 13th January 2012, 09:57 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoNic_real_one View Post
Denon DVD-3930 (or DVD-5910) will beat any Panasonic. With slightly better OpAmps are perfect - in my opinion.
And on second-hand market they are accesible priced - owners that go to the bluray crap.
Thanks.
Between those 2 models, which on has a better audio and video quality?
In which one is it easier to change the audio output OpAmps?
Old 13th January 2012, 10:38 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

3930 has better video processor, 5910 has better audio.
Both have SMD OpAmps. You need a steady hand and something like ChipQuick to desolder them.

The DVD-5910 has as DAC the PCM1792 (one in mono mode for each L and R channel on stereo and one for each surround pair of channels - total of five DAC's). I/V stage - OP275 on stereo and NJM2068 on multich. As filter stage NJM2068.
The DVD-3930 has as DAC the PCM1796 (one in mono mode for each L and R channel on stereo and one for each surround pair of channels - total of five DAC's). I/V stage is the BA15218F and filters are NJM2068 or BA15218F.

I like their AL24 Processing - done with dedicated DSP's (AD or TI).

Last edited by SoNic_real_one; 13th January 2012 at 10:46 PM.
Old 13th January 2012, 10:45 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Thanks.
Old 14th January 2012, 01:43 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

I think you will find that a stock Pioneer DV-79avi at the least keeps up with any Denon on video quality, and better on audio quality, while being HUGELY more reliable. As I keep saying, this generation of Pioneers were the best reliability I've yet seen, and I am a very long time service professional, so this is expert opinion here. If you have a $1000+ budget, the next step up, IMO, is the Pioneer BDP-09FD, their gorgeously built blu-ray, which they sadly discontinued & didn't replace. At least as yet.
Old 14th January 2012, 01:43 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Audio: for regular CD or HDCD it doesn't. Denon AL24 Processing improves the reproduction especially for 16 bit formats. Plus it decodes properly the HDCD, does not converts DSD to PCM while playing SACD's.
Video: I don't know what kind of processor has Panasonic better than Realta HQV or even the lower Realta VX (from Denon DVD-2930).
Old 14th January 2012, 03:05 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Now I took a look on the Panasonic DV-79Davi and I see the video processor they have is called "T-Rex". Don't know to much about it, so... I don't know
On the audio part, as DAC they use PCM1738 and OPA2134 for L/R channels (an OK OpAmp) and NE5532 for rest. But PCM1738 (a very good DAC) is not same as good as PCM1792 - especially when latter is used in mono mode...
Looks like DSD is not converted either (good) - uses the same Sony DSD processor.
No separated 2 channel out with dedicated DAC's in mono mode - like Denon from above.

Last edited by SoNic_real_one; 14th January 2012 at 03:11 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!