TDA1543 Non OS DAC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Coulomb said:
I would be interested as well if it had a provision for I2s input and possibly supported TDA1541A
Anthony

TDA1541A support is not possible (completely different animal). Even TDA1545 doesn't seem too logical as you need an active I/V stage anyway. But Ok, you could use hardwired tubes for that.

The TDA1543 DAC does invert the phase in passive configuration. Inversion is not possible with the receiver chip as far as I know. You'll need some logic on the I2S lines to do that. I still have plans to try a DSP on I2S once, but I am afraid it will remain a plan for quite a while...

Fedde

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Kuei Yang Wang said:
Konnichiwa,

May I put in some suggestions/requests for this Board?

First, provision the use of both receiver and Chip as DIP and SMD encased Item, as supply becomes more problematic.

Second, consider providing for the asyncronous reclocking (SMD Chip 74AC74) using a canned X-Tal Oscillator.

Third, how about allowing for the use of both TDA1543 & TDA1545, including the required different components on the "ref" pin?

Sayonara

I'll do the TDA1545A SMD support for the PCB if you can supply me a nice and simple output stage design ( if possible ). I am too busy with the board now. It will be supporting TDA1543 DIL and TDA1545A SMD then. Let me think again about the reclocking. Did a design on that but lost the file when it was completed. It used the Tent module.

TDA1543A in OB format

Thanks Jean-Paul and Elso,

As Elso said that the TDA1543A supports only OB format (offset-binary) I found this on a web page:

Offset-binary encoding represents the range of amplitude values as an unsigned number, with the midpoint of the range representing silence. For example, an 8-bit sample stored in offset-binary format would contain sample values ranging from 0 to 255, with a value of 128 specifying silence (no amplitude). Samples in Macintosh sound resources are stored in offset-binary form.

Twos-complement encoding stores the amplitude values as a signed number--in this case silence is represented by a sample value of 0. Using the same 8-bit example, twos-complement values would range from -128 to 127, with 0 meaning silence.

Mincy

Konnichiwa,

Akwaba from Accra.

Just dropping in while my pretty bride is off on other business....

jean-paul said:

I'll do the TDA1545A SMD support for the PCB if you can supply me a nice and simple output stage design ( if possible ).

The 1545 and 1543 have pretty much the same pinout, both can if you MUST be used passive I/V, the key difference is that the 1543 has a reference resistor to ground while the 1545 has a RCR filter *11k/4u7/11k to +V from the ref pin. All else can be similar to the same, except the TDA1545 is limited to 5V supplies and thus will not give much level with passive I/V.

I have designed previously an active, valve I/V converter and 3rd order LPF using Valves for the 1545, it should float around somewhere on the net (probably in my group - whoever digs it up feel free to repost info here). I would suggest that any active I/V should be off board as there are so many options, from Op-Amp over valves or passive with a low gain amplifier stage etc....

jean-paul said:

It will be supporting TDA1543 DIL and TDA1545A SMD then.

Then it will also support TDA1545 DIL and TDA1543 SMD....

jean-paul said:

Let me think again about the reclocking. Did a design on that but lost the file when it was completed. It used the Tent module.

I think it's worthwhile. AFTER my experiences feding the Ack!Dack a Datastream 'upsampled' via CS8420 (before heading off to get married) I'd be tempted to suggest a second PCB with CS8420 support!

Sayonara

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
With 20 components they all look like each other more or less ;) BTW it is not my DAC but my version of the DAC.

Since it was an open source project on the Chips Amp board you'll see several variants all resembling eachother. Richard Murdey designed a version as well that was rather unique but it was never produced.

Scott made the first version for the Chip Amp board and I ordered one. After not having heard a reply after 3 weeks I decided to roll my own after careful looking at the pics that were shown at the Chip Amp board. The design was publicly discussed and adapted.

When Scott reacted I had finished my first version which indeed has very strong influences from Scott's A version certainly concerning ground routing. I remember discussing the board I layed out, the modes of CS8412 and I/V + Iref-resistors per mail with Scott. We did not agree on the 8/9 V supply after bad results I decided for 5 V and later 6 V that Fedde advised me. The later versions don't have the similarities as the version on the pics. I was so eager after the results I read that I made it myself. Scott still not offers a version with a transformer, discrete supply for the TDA and Super E so I'll jump in that gap so to speak. With these features resemblance is shrinking. If he would offer such a board I'd probably buy it.

Scott is a nice guy but the schematic isn't his or anyones since it was an open source project, this is confirmed by Richard Murdey who was one of the ones that started the project. There is no IP or copyright involved of any kind. Everyone can make one and is free to do so. This does NOT apply to his tube buffer etc. of course.

The new design and schematic will be publicly published here so please wait for that.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
That's nice, but something is either unique or not, no amount of modifiers can alter that fact. :)

????

In fact it was never built but it was only drawn AFAIK. The uniqueness of this DAC isn't there since it was an open source project that everyone could follow. Richards layout looked nice but it had some drawbacks. Goal of the design was short signal paths and optimal ground routing. Scotts design was the first to be really OK.

Practically all non os DAC's with CS8412 and TDA1543 are variations on the same theme. Clearly it started off as trying to copy the 47Labs DAC ( I missed that stage ). Same as with the Gaincard/clone thing...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.