TDA1543 Non OS DAC - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th September 2003, 09:40 PM   #11
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

As I understood the higher frequency the better. That means a low jitter 80 or 100 MHz XO has to be used. That frequency and it's harmonics WILL show up at the output in my implementation.

And where do I find a low jitter 80 or 100 MHz module that is suitable ? I guess the answer is building a discrete clock which takes space and will stress the design/test stage severely. The version I will redesign is in fact a redesign with another CAD program of a built and tested DAC that was plain good.

It also adds to the total cost of the project and it delivers a risk of people having problems with the RF etc.
Old 17th September 2003, 09:45 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
I'm using a crystal close to 100Mhz. The reclocker might add to the price, but it also can be optional on a board. Somebody who wants to use it, can install all the parts, and somebody who doesn't want it, leaves the spaces empty. With careful bord layout, it can be somwhere on a side and wouldn't interfere with a main circuit.

I'm also using separate transformer for reclocking circuit. From what I remember it was major improvement over the bare bone TDA 1543 circuit.
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 17th September 2003, 09:45 PM   #13

Quote:
And what has that to do with price of tea in china, or the subjective sonics for that case?
Nothing.
Old 17th September 2003, 09:46 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
And what has that to do with price of tea in china, or the subjective sonics for that case?

It may depend on where the boards will be made. You will e-mail Elib?
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 17th September 2003, 09:50 PM   #15

Quote:
What I really like is a great resolution of a passive I/V converting and I suspect that OPA 627 in Marantz isn't the best choice.
Passive is king but I think that OPA627 one of the better choices when choosing opamps.
Old 17th September 2003, 09:52 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Somebody suggested to me yesterday that 2134 was better sounding than OPA627 in NAD output. Did you try this one?
Old 17th September 2003, 09:55 PM   #17

????? What does NAD output mean ???????

That somebody has obviously other experiences than me. OPA627 is way better than OPA2134. I did test this. That doesn't mean OPA2134 is bad. When you need a double opamp it is OK, maybe OPA2604 is a better choice but that depends on taste/implementation I guess. Nowadays I would use LM6172 but only after careful examination of the cdplayer/schematic in question. Of the oldies I did like OP249 too.

IMO it is a pity that single opamps are so seldom used in good cdplayers as the creme-de-la-creme is found amongst single versions. That makes way for building discrete, I know
Old 17th September 2003, 10:32 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

NAD 514 CD

I'm also aware that everything depends on implementation. BTW, I'm still feeding 3V (or so from DAC) directly to OPA 627. I guess I should do something about it?
Old 18th September 2003, 05:27 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Do count me in as well.

Ralph

ps perhaps allready start a wiki ?!
Old 18th September 2003, 06:04 AM   #20

www.dhtrob.com seems down but I found this listening session:

http://home.zonnet.nl/horneman/dhtrob.htm

Hide this!Advertise here!