Marantz CD34 100v convert to 120v - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th January 2012, 05:36 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Marantz CD34 100v convert to 120v

I purchased a Marantz cd34 on Audiogon for $50 in immaculate condition, but when it arrived, it was wrapped in Japanese news papers, etc. It's a for Japan model, as the CD34 was not available in the US as far as I know. It looks new, like it had been sitting. I did a plug and play without reading the voltage and it plays fine, months later, still fine. Does not get hot, left it running over night, and it does not get hot, warm yes. I was wondering if anyone knew how to convert it to 120? Or would it require a 120 transformer. I have a Magnavox of the same era with a 120v transformer I could try to swap....Or and this is a big or, should I just leave it be...Oh and the seller has since split...I don't regret buying it.
Old 8th January 2012, 05:44 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

If it works, let it be. The voltage regulator circuits (IC), after the transformer rectifiers, can take care of that difference. Sure, a little warmer...
If you really want, you could measure the voltages at the input fro those regulators and compare with the catalog maximum values.
Old 8th January 2012, 06:01 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I was considering adding a dimmer and plugging it into the dimmer?
Old 8th January 2012, 06:41 PM   #4
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by isitrisky View Post
I was considering adding a dimmer and plugging it into the dimmer?
No, no, no They chop the mains up (phase angle control) and don't work well with inductive loads anyway.

Do you have a circuit ?

For piece of mind I would take the top off and see what any reservoir caps are rated at and then measure the actual voltage across them.

If for example you have a transformer AC winding giving around 16 volts (on 100v mains) then on 120 it will be 20 volts. Rectified and smoothed and thats 22 Vdc and 28 volts DC respectively. If 25v caps were used the problem is obvious. Any caps after regulators will of course be OK. Heatsinking unless it were really marginal and the unit used at its environmental limits should be "empirically" OK.
Old 8th January 2012, 08:51 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Good point...I will check that out now... I don't have a schematic sadly....thanks

Hide this!Advertise here!