pre-building a HD DAC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey, i'm interested in building a usb compatible DAC of 24bit/96khz and I'm looking at options for the build.
My knowledge is that of a final year electronic & communications degree, but my main downfall is understanding the desired output signal characteristics.

Currently, I'm going down this route:

USB -> PCM2706/7 (clocked with PLL1700 for low jitter) -> i2S -> PCM1792

I've sourced a PCM2706 schematic to use it as a USB to i2s interface, but I'm unsure if this is the best way to do it, (i've seen asynchronous usb to i2s specs elsewhere)

I'm also still up in the air about the dac to use, primarily because i have little experience with audio dacs.

I've found a PCM1792 IC that seems to be quite good.
http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/pcm1792.pdf

I would also want to put in a nth pole LPF on the output from the dac, but unsure about desired signal characteristics, and i know that adding extra poles to filters can change the rolloff characteristic.

does anyone have a solid overview block diagram they could please share with me?

I also considered adding an amplification stage to the output of the DAC, perhaps of class AB or A, any thoughts?

Any assistance on this dyi voyager is highly appreciated!

Thanks,
Oliver.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.