ADAT recorder ADCs...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Alesis ADCs most likely.

I wasn't aware that Alesis has their own R&D facility or the overhead to fund something as complex as development of their own DACs or ADCs. I'm not claiming you're wrong by any means, just didn't have any idea they had that kind of moxy...

Can anybody confirm this? I'm really curious because I think it'd be a good point of reference for us DIYers... there are some very phenomonal sounding CD's recorded out there... and if we know what is used going into the production, I think it would make things all the more interesting.

Well, Alesis-semi... I guess that about answers it.

I did remember reading somewhere that the earlier ones did use the Cirrus chips (yes, previously Crystal). That's what generated the curiosity to start this post.

Thanks guys/gals for the comments!

Have you considered that they may have been recorded on Studer or Sony DASH multitracks or any of the other myriad of multitrack decks and HD solutions?

Um, yes... but Sony sucks ;) (I'm TOTALLY kidding!!) Not to get in a debate, just for some comic relief, OK?!

Seriously... I have considered the alternatives... but I have a couple productions that I know have been done on an Alesis ADAT... and I just wanted to have a good place to start from for a reference. Start small, go from there :)

Thanks again all...

Tieftoener said:
Well, Alesis-semi... I guess that about answers it.

I did remember reading somewhere that the earlier ones did use the Cirrus chips (yes, previously Crystal). That's what generated the curiosity to start this post.

Thanks guys/gals for the comments!

Um, yes... but Sony sucks ;) (I'm TOTALLY kidding!!) Not to get in a debate, just for some comic relief, OK?!

Seriously... I have considered the alternatives... but I have a couple productions that I know have been done on an Alesis ADAT... and I just wanted to have a good place to start from for a reference. Start small, go from there :)

Thanks again all...

If you are looking ADAT, consider Tascam DA88 style recorder.
They are known as being a mecanically and sonically superior
device. They even do one now which does DSD recording.
Check their website as I'm not up on the latest models.

Cheers,

Terry

PCM-F1, and off topic

Does any one else remember the RIAA furry about PCM-F1 and bootleg "duplicates" of vinyl album.

11 bits and two tracks, who needs a DA-88?

I remember reading an article saying that when the F1 is outlawed, only outlaws will have F1's.

Well, I'm by no means a supporter of MP3's or file sharing, (I have tow many friends who's livings are dependent on people’s willingness to actually pay for content), but do recent industry events and trends not warrant the moniker of PCM-FU for the MP-3?

(Wasn’t I the one berating someone about the use of "gentleman’s rules" the other day?)

-Dave

Please indulge us and name a few of these recordings.

Stu,
The ones I have are no-name to the real world. They were done in a little private studio in Milwaukee, WI. They are recordings of my high-school jazz band and another band in high-school that was really good (considering age and such). I just value them as references because I was greatly involved with the setup and know all the mics, each individuals particular instrument, etc. Knowing exactly what each one sounds like in real life, I've had some criticisms of the recording. A lot of the problem was the mics that were used (mostly SM-57/58's on instruments). No beta series... however, the drum kit was an AKG kit. Regardless though, the mastering was pretty well done - and people that hear the CD's often remark at the "quality of the recording." They're especially impressed when I tell them it was me playing ;)...

Hey quick comment (yes, threadjacking,j but it's similar in subject area)... Anybody have experience doing digital PCM recording using an old BetaMax player??? Mine has an input for it (dual mode video input), but I no longer have a manual. Thanks, I guess... :)

Hey quick comment (yes, threadjacking,j but it's similar in subject area)... Anybody have experience doing digital PCM recording using an old BetaMax player??? Mine has an input for it (dual mode video input), but I no longer have a manual. Thanks, I guess...

That was the reference I was making to the PCM-F1. The early units were very low bit resolution (I think 11 bits, lousy filters etc). The thing that amazed every one was that they worked! Not that they were high quality, but in its day it was amazing to actually make a digital audio recording in your living room. This was of course about 5 years before the CD was standardized.

-Dave

BrianL said:
I believe that the F1 was 16-bit. 16-bit "PCM" ADCs
were readily available at the time, though the linearity
was only about 14-bits.

-------------------------------------------
I think you are right. I remember using it with B&K mics to produce some really life-like voice recordings. The spectra on pure tones was also very clean and the whole thing was vastly superior to analogue and FM laboratory recorders.

Definitely not crap.

The Sony PCM 1 was introduced in 1978, 14 bits, the F1 was introduced a few years later 14 bit (legacy) and 16 bit supported.

Interestingly, to this day most serious DAW still include a 44.056 sample rate setting, for those who want to transfer to and from an F1.

Guess I got my models and history confused. Did I say "crap"?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.