Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th December 2011, 02:16 AM   #1
ferazv is offline ferazv  Brazil
diyAudio Member

Default Gamut CD1 MKII with problem

Sirs,
I have a Gamut CD1 MKII and it is with a mechanic problem on the load system, when I put a CD, the laser pickup doesnīt go up to the proper position and them it canīt read the CD. I already tried the laser pickup and it is working fine. Do you guys know where I can find a complete mecanism with tray for this player? I know that the laser pickup is a Sony KSS 213C and the mecanism is a Sony KSM 213 CCM but I simple canīt find any information about the tray and mechanics. I looked on the web and on the local stores here in Brazil but I simple canīt find it to sell.
Any help will be welcome.
Thanks a lot,
Fernando Azevedo
Old 24th December 2011, 03:35 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

It sounds to me like you have a simple loading mechanism problem. From what photos I could find(none more than overhead view of mech), this model uses a pretty common, off the shelf Sony loading mech. Overall, I have to say, this looks like a barely above average player, dressed up to look like a high end model. The CS4390 dac used is an "all in one" digital filter/bitstream-dac/output-LPF-amp, from 1998, designed for simplest possible system design. Not even multi-level bitstream. But I digress.

If you pull the whole mechanism out of the unit(you may have to pop the front panel of the tray off first), then turn it over, you will be able to manually operate the loading mech. In doing this, you should be able to pretty easily determine what is preventing the laser mech from lifting into full load position. May be as simple as a slipping belt. It's really rare for these loaders to have any parts broken, and it's always either just a belt, or a gear or lever that's jumped out of proper position.
Old 24th December 2011, 12:28 PM   #3
ferazv is offline ferazv  Brazil
diyAudio Member

Dear Stephensank,
Thank you for your help. I already tried what you said and the problem is wear in a plastic piece that lifts the laser pickup mecanism, so I think will be simplier replace the whole unit than find a replace for that piece but I simple canīt find it on the market here.
Fernando
Old 3rd January 2012, 11:34 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to mschwilson
Hi.
If it's any help, you could ask someone like this;

KSM-213CCM SONY CD LASER LENS KSM213CCM (KSS213C) | eBay

if he/she would post to your country.
Best regards,
Si.

Hide this!Advertise here!