Gamut CD1 MKII with problem

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Sirs,
I have a Gamut CD1 MKII and it is with a mechanic problem on the load system, when I put a CD, the laser pickup doesn´t go up to the proper position and them it can´t read the CD. I already tried the laser pickup and it is working fine. Do you guys know where I can find a complete mecanism with tray for this player? I know that the laser pickup is a Sony KSS 213C and the mecanism is a Sony KSM 213 CCM but I simple can´t find any information about the tray and mechanics. I looked on the web and on the local stores here in Brazil but I simple can´t find it to sell.
Any help will be welcome.
Thanks a lot,
Fernando Azevedo

It sounds to me like you have a simple loading mechanism problem. From what photos I could find(none more than overhead view of mech), this model uses a pretty common, off the shelf Sony loading mech. Overall, I have to say, this looks like a barely above average player, dressed up to look like a high end model. The CS4390 dac used is an "all in one" digital filter/bitstream-dac/output-LPF-amp, from 1998, designed for simplest possible system design. Not even multi-level bitstream. But I digress.

If you pull the whole mechanism out of the unit(you may have to pop the front panel of the tray off first), then turn it over, you will be able to manually operate the loading mech. In doing this, you should be able to pretty easily determine what is preventing the laser mech from lifting into full load position. May be as simple as a slipping belt. It's really rare for these loaders to have any parts broken, and it's always either just a belt, or a gear or lever that's jumped out of proper position.

Dear Stephensank,
Thank you for your help. I already tried what you said and the problem is wear in a plastic piece that lifts the laser pickup mecanism, so I think will be simplier replace the whole unit than find a replace for that piece but I simple can´t find it on the market here.
Fernando

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.