Denon DCD-1800 issues - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd December 2011, 01:00 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Denon DCD-1800 issues

I ran into one of these, and if thats one area I am lacking in knowledge, is these vintage CD players. I was hardly EVER successful with any of them. Mainly because i dont have test discs, alignment jigs, or nothing. just a meter and a scope.

Well this one dont read discs. the laser will lock on and the disc will spin for awhile and thats it. then it gives up failing to read the TOC. Cleaned the laser lense, i even took the focus/tracking assy off the top of the pickup and i made it worse. now it takes 2 or 3 tries before it finally picks up.

I found the service manual online, but it says adjust the VR2 on the motor/laser board for adjusting power output of the pickup.

Well the motor driver laser board looks a little bit different, and the VR2 pot isnt there, plus the pots are in different spots than shown in the manual. Also the pots are labled VR101 and VR102 etc... so it is different.

Anyway... so i started fiddling with all the pots, making note of the positioning on all the pots. couldnt seem to make it better, only worse. So i put them all back to where they were.

Any ideas?
Old 23rd December 2011, 04:39 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Anyone have a schematic of the "test adjustment PCB" that denon uses in the service manual? I am in the dark here..... I may have to realign this thing.

Hide this!Advertise here!