CD63 display died, please help - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd March 2005, 11:15 PM   #31
SimontY is offline SimontY  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to SimontY
Quote:
Originally posted by martin clark
Simon - would you like a free, known-good display unit as a backup/spare? Drop me an email and I'll post you the front panel off my old CD63.
That's extremely genorous, thanks. Lemme see if I can make it work first. I'm not 100% sure it's broken... I have a feeling it's a dead connection somewhere.
Old 3rd March 2005, 09:36 PM   #32
diyAudio Member

Talking Oh yay, oh yay!

Well chaps, after well over a year in the dark, we have a display once more!!! You can see Tunnel Of Love by Dire Straits playing
Attached Images
File Type: jpg working.jpg (82.7 KB, 103 views)
Old 3rd March 2005, 09:39 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

Massive thanks to Rauch for the suggestion, which provided the fix. Also thanks to Martin Clark for the offer of a new panel. The world aint such a bad place today, after all....
Old 3rd March 2005, 10:29 PM   #34
Ruach is offline Ruach  Singapore
diyAudio Member

Hurray!

Glad to be of help.

Actually, the fix may have a negative effort on the sound quality.

The microprocessor and data i/c shares the same power supply (5V) with that of the DAC. By fixing the connection, you will introduce more noise to the power supply of the DAC.

Anyway, I would rather have the display working rather than a slightly cleaner sound
Old 4th March 2005, 08:53 AM   #35
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruach
Actually, the fix may have a negative effort on the sound quality.

The microprocessor and data i/c shares the same power supply (5V) with that of the DAC. By fixing the connection, you will introduce more noise to the power supply of the DAC.
They share the same power?? Don't like the sound of that much (pun not intended!). I do have the datasheet somewhere but I'm probably still lacking the technical nouse to separate all the psus out properly. Something I'm planning to do is to try and shield my add-on clock circuit with copper boards. Don't like the thought of RFI leaking all over the poor cd player. Also, I want to try bypassing the HDAM, is that something you tried?
Old 4th March 2005, 09:09 AM   #36
diyAudio Member

Yep. They share same power supply. This is why your display went to sleep when the copper thread broke off the contact with the 5V coming from the 7805.

Try the transformer mod. The improvements are much greater than the clock mod and the HDRAM mod.

I did not bypass the HDRAM for my set (which was sold sometime back).

I am modding Pioneer cdps now
Old 4th March 2005, 09:22 AM   #37
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruach
Try the transformer mod. The improvements are much greater than the clock mod and the HDAM mod.
Wow, the clock mod (when given a separate psu) was a huge improvement!! If this trafo mod is even bigger I'll have an amazing player on my hands

Do I just snip the relevant secondary leads from the existing toroid and connect the new trafo to the place it goes in? Or are we talking about new rectifiers and smoothing and going in where the DC meets the DACs etc.?? (I don't think I'm competent enough for that really)
Old 4th March 2005, 09:30 AM   #38
diyAudio Member

I don't have a Marantz CD63 at hand now so I can't really give you any detailed instructions.

I believe that the secondary leads are connected to the transformers via very thin copper wires (which are soldered to the leads).

You can desolder the copper wires of the relevant secondary leads and insulate the wires with insulating tape.

Next, you can solder the secondary leads of your new toroidal transformer (9V 0V on the secondaries I think) to the secondary leads of the existing transformers.

This should be neater but you have to desolder and solder carefully. And insulate all the uncover 'live' areas.

Alternatively, as you have suggested, you can cut away the relevant secondary leads. Then, this tweak would be irreversible.
Old 4th March 2005, 09:34 AM   #39
diyAudio Member

Yes, a separate transformer for your DAC, and another for your servo/decoder, would do wonders to your cdp.

This mod is rarely mentioned but I discovered that it gives the most bang for the modding bucks. My new transformer cost about 10 to 15 Euros, which is cheap vis-a-vis my Audiocom superclock (200 Euros)
Old 4th March 2005, 11:21 AM   #40
diyAudio Member

Great, thanks for the info!

Hide this!Advertise here!