Need to boost output of MP3 player....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a "Sandisk Sansa Clip +" which I frequently connect to my stereo sys.
The output, even though low, was adequate for the most part with my old speakers.
However, my new speakers are acoustic suspension and of course, less efficient. So, some songs are a bit low in volume with the player and amp both turned up to the max.

What it the best inexpensive thing to use to raise the output of the player?

I was thinking about a "Fiio E5" as it's simple, cheap, and battery
(rechargable) powered. Would that work?

I tried my headphone amp but it did not seem to raise the volume level even when turned up all the way.

Anway, I do not what to spend to much on something.
Any suggestions?

Last edited:
^ ^ ^
It's not an option as the amp only has 1 input. I'm using a seperate source switch to switch sources.

What I really need is a higher watttage amp. I'm currently runninng only 50w RMS pc. High power stereo amps seem to be a dying breed and now, high wattage seems to mean anything over 10 watts.

^ ^ ^
It's not an option as the amp only has 1 input. I'm using a seperate source switch to switch sources.

What I really need is a higher watttage amp. I'm currently runninng only 50w RMS pc. High power stereo amps seem to be a dying breed and now, high wattage seems to mean anything over 10 watts.

What you need is a preamp. This is a DIY forum so I'd suggest just a cheap op-amp set up for a gain of about 4. Power by a pair of 9V battery.

Do you have a meter that can measure RMS volts? Checks the AC volts in the input jack to see what the input level is.

Even very insensitive speakers, say 80dB/W at 1M will make a bit of noise with a 50W amp. The problem has to be the input level to the amp

What you need is a preamp. This is a DIY forum so I'd suggest just a cheap op-amp set up for a gain of about 4. Power by a pair of 9V battery.

Do you have a meter that can measure RMS volts? Checks the AC volts in the input jack to see what the input level is.

Even very insensitive speakers, say 80dB/W at 1M will make a bit of noise with a 50W amp. The problem has to be the input level to the amp

Yeah, but I want to do more than just make noise.

Actually, all other sources are fine and I only have to turn the amp's volume up about to about 11:00 on the rotary dial.

After doing a bit of research, I found out that the Sandisk Sasna clip" does indeed have a somewhat low ouput.

Anway, for just MP3s the Fiio E6 should be adequate. Most of them were aquired during the early days of Napster and the qualty varies. :)

Yeah, but I want to do more than just make noise.

Actually, all other sources are fine and I only have to turn the amp's volume up about to about 11:00 on the rotary dial.

After doing a bit of research, I found out that the Sandisk Sasna clip" does indeed have a somewhat low ouput.

Like I said a preamp is required. Someone suggested a cmoy headphone amp. I think that is about the same thing I suggested.

I wonder if something as simple as a 1:2 audio transformer would work. If the amp has a high input impedance a transformer would be simple and noiseless.

I got that FiiO E6 today. It really does not increase the volume that much..... hardly at all actually.

However, the E6 does seems quite usefull when using my MP3 player plugged into the AUX port of my car's less that stellar stock stereo. So, I will still have a use for it as I suspected.

I wonder, would an average 9v a CMoy amp have a higher output for use in my home sys?

Last edited:
Thanks for the input...:)

The Sansa Clip has plenty of volume (purchased in the US) with both headpones I currently have.....a cheap Koss used stictly for computers/outdoors and my much better Audia Technica phones for music. In fact with the Audio Technica phones, I can turn the volume down to about 2/3.

As I said, the voulume only became somewhat of a problem when fed through my home sys when I got the less efficient AS speakers and only with some songs.
This is why I want to get some sort of inexpensive "preamp" to boost the output a bit. Also, running the Sansa at full volume depletes the battery faster.

If no one has a better/different suggestion, after the new year, I wil try one of those inexpensive 9v CMoys amps on e-Bay..... the ones from the US dealer that use the TI opamp 2227 chip.
Micro Cmoy headphone amp - Opamp 2227 - Amplifier Tiger | eBay
He seems to use high quality components.

For me, it's not worth building my own as the price is relatively cheap for an assembled one.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.