TDA1541a S2

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I got 2 pcs of TDA1541 S2 from Elib, who adverised them here on a forum.

He was generous enough to send them to me before I paid him, just to check them out. I was pretty busy recently and didn't have my system set properly do do that, but hopefuly today, I will try them out.

From a visual inspection, they look real. The pic I posted, was the one that original seller sent to me.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=197657

I did some listening today. I was checking the chips in my Marantz CD94. The S2 seems to be a real deal, as it sounds different than a regular version and S1. It has very silky like trebles with good resolution and detail. Sometimes it seems like the highs are actually too soft, but it's very pleasing and not fatiguing at all. The regular version of a DAC, in the current setup (OPA627 at the output, no filtering) is too harsh sounding and I wouldn't hesitate even for a moment and prefer outboard TDA1543 DAC. I also checked S1 version and it is less harsh sounding than no crown DAC, but shares similar sonic signature (just a bit more nicer sounding). But S2 seems to be something else. It is a bit mellow, but again very good resolution and detail, revealing the sounds I might not hear before. I think I like it, even in the current application (slightly modified Marantz circuit), and can only imagine the performance it may bring when more care and attention is used with a better implementation.

It's almost like comparing generic metal film resistors and Vishays.;)

Attachments

• s2.jpg
    s2.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 4,662
tda1541a-s2 for sale

thanks, Peter, it's so good that you like it.

for those intereted in this chip:
i still have quite a number of the chips for sale, the price is:
75 USD/pc + shiping
68 USD for 10+, plus shipment.

i also have cs8412cp's in stock.
are there anyone interested in a 1541 dac project? if someone can design a pcb i think i can supply them quite cheaply, maybe at $2 or so.

Schuro and Reichelt

Since I am looking for non-crowned DACs it seems that the group buy proposed by AMT freak is much cheaper for the TDA chips and more expensive for the CS8412. Since the TDA1543 and 1541 are often used in parallel configuration maybe this is the best option for me.

At schuro you can even find optical tx and rx of the TOTX-TORX series.

Cheers

Andrea

TDA1541 NonOS PCB

Elib,

I just sent you mail about a TDA1541 S2 order.

Everyone,

Elib has offered to have PCBs made at very cheap prices. Is there enough interest in a collaborative TDA1541 nonOS design? As I'm interested in Elib's TDA1541A S2 chips, I'd be looking for a no holds bar design & implementation. (My philisophy on DIY is if you take the effort to build it, you might as well try for the best). There are enough ideas on this board to put together a great design. I can start another thread if there is interest.

Regards,
Dean

re: TDA1541A S2 nonOS pcb

What about taking a modular approach to the PCB so that several options can be implemented, like:

- Balanced or unbalanced outputs
- Several forms of I/V conversion
- Sinc filter with the option of using different filters
- Tube, passive, discrete or Opamp output buffer
- Single or double TDA 1541
- Async reclocking (which could be disabled)
- Monkeysect CS8412 tweak
- Kwak clock or Tent clock
- Highly filtered power supplies, possibly using Jung regulators
- NonOS or use of the TNT-Audio decima circuit (which could be disabled)

If this is to be a top notch solution, it will not be simple and the power supply will probably be more complex than the actual DAC circuit. Good PCB design will also be critical.

The possible design options & configurations should be debated in another thread not this one.

Regards,
Dean

designing PCB

All the info for the various parts of the design have already been discussed on this board, although each subsystem would need to be adjusted to ensure the entire design works well.

Most of these subsystems come courtesy of hard work put in by others (eg. Kwak clock, Jung regulator, TNT-audio oversampling) so permission will be needed.

A sample design schematic could be posted for comment, debated, then used to create a PCB design for Elib to organise manufacturing and offer for sale (at a reasonable price!) to the rest of us. I have no commercial interest here, I am going to make a high end TDA1541 DAC anyway, so I figure if others can participate in the design then it is bound to be better than if I came up with it solo, and we could share the effort of drafting PCB designs and organising the manufacture.

The one feature that I forgot in the feature list posted above was DEM reclocking, however I have not been able to find a schematic.

Elib, can you elaborate on the quality of the PCB manufacture (double sided, thru hole plating, possible silver plating?).

Regards,
Dean

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.