new digital source advice

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'd like to move up in quality from the Marantz CD5004 player and Musical Fidelity V-DAC I've used the last 4 years, but not sure what is the smartest move with limited funds since retiring .
A better CD player.....or better DAC ?
Not sure if my budget would allow both components to be improved and not sure which of the 2 components I would be better to focus on.
I looked at the OPPO but it seems to cover a lot of bases with video and I'm mostly interested in 2 channel stereo . I've heard that some folks have gotten frustrated with Cambridge issues and I don't have room for a top loader so the Rega Appollo is not an option.
Marantz has the new 6004 CDP but not sure what is different other than $150 more than the entry 5004
Thanks for any tips

I'd like to move up in quality from the Marantz CD5004 player and Musical Fidelity V-DAC I've used the last 4 years, but not sure what is the smartest move with limited funds since retiring .
A better CD player.....or better DAC ?
Not sure if my budget would allow both components to be improved and not sure which of the 2 components I would be better to focus on.
I looked at the OPPO but it seems to cover a lot of bases with video and I'm mostly interested in 2 channel stereo . I've heard that some folks have gotten frustrated with Cambridge issues and I don't have room for a top loader so the Rega Appollo is not an option.
Marantz has the new 6004 CDP but not sure what is different other than $150 more than the entry 5004
Thanks for any tips

The best deal going in high quality transport is the TEAC CD-5020A. The TASCAM CD-200 professional CD player features this transport. You can then add any DAC you like. Most of the junk available feature shoddy DVD transports.

Started reading up on the DAC from the Netherlands which looks good although maybe more expensive stateside. Also the Tascam CD200 player with TEAC transport which looks like a good possibility for me if I want to upgrade my DAC from the Musical Fidelity V-DAC to something better .
My current Marantz 5004 transport seems okay, but not great . It started getting stuck in going in and out without stopping until I gently grasped it into loading position a few times . But..... for $300 it is a fine player
I did also see the TEAC 600 Reference Series CD player for $700 which looks like an option also, although only coaxial and RCA outputs , no optical . Thats okay as I use coaxial now anyway .
The TEAC 600 reference player has Burr Brown but I thought I had read online that they had been sold to new owners and maybe superceded by some newer designs

I just noticed that Decware offers a modified TASCAM CD-200i for $1049.00 known as the model ZCD 200i. It looks like they basically install a tube output stage to the stock player as far as I can tell. The TASCAM CD-200 or CD-200i would probably make a good candidate for a ZAPfilter Mk2 installation. Decware comments about how wonderful the TASCAM is as a transport on their website. These current TASCAM units seem like real sleepers that people are overlooking.

Tascam

I ordered the Tascam 2000 CDP from B+H for $249 shipped.
It was a long decision process as I really wanted to get the TEAC CDP, but eventually decided to go with spending the money on a Mini and going the computer audio route .
The Tascam will be there to play discs if needed and I moved the Marantz CDP to an upstairs dormer bedroom where I keep my secondary stereo.
SSclay is right , the Tascam has that very nice TEAC transport mechanism and works well . That Marantz tray bugged me with it's automatic closing.
Comparing 2 tracks back and forth between the Marantz and Tascam with both hooked up to my MF V-DAC in a quick and dirty comparison I noticed the Tascam has some more bass authority at the expense of upper mid sparkle and treble response while the Marantz has less bass presence but more clarity on harmonics from Laurence Jubers acoustic guitar and the tambourine and guitar sounds on NRBQ's Break Away From My Dreams

thanks ssportclay

The best deal going in high quality transport is the TEAC CD-5020A. The TASCAM CD-200 professional CD player features this transport. You can then add any DAC you like. Most of the junk available feature shoddy DVD transports.

Just wanted to post that I enjoy the TASCAM Cd player recommended by ssportclay in post. As he states the transport is high quality and silky smooth for sure . I was going to get the higher cost TEAC with the same transport but went with the TASCAM since I also wanted to buy the Logitech Squuezebox and Schiit Bi-Frost DAC.
The TASCAM may not be a thing of beauty although it is functional but for the money is a deal and it has worked out well for me . Rack Ears are removeable

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.