DAC for my USB->COAX ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm currently using 2 digital sources, Marantz CD-60(undergoing mods) and a rather cheap USB-DAC w digital coax out.
I'm getting quite fond of the sound from the modded CD-60(TDA1541A/SAA7220P/B).
At first I thought there might be a way to alter the CD-50(will be modded too) I also own so that it had a digital coax in, this might be a bit harder then it first seems I guess.
SO, I'm looking for DAC's (preferably using TDA1541A or S1, S2) that will fit my taste and not too thick wallet.

I have had a DAC-AH(modded, 1543 direct to RCA via PIO caps, not my work though) in the past connected to my PC via a Trends Audio UD10(I think it was called that). I think I prefer TDA1541(even though not fully modded yet) to TDA1543.

OR any relatively cheap DAC's that can be modded to equal the sound of a modded CD-60 or better.

Maybe my USB-DAC, called NIE, can be modded to sound a bit better and I can stick with it for now?

No OpAmp (filters) after a 1543 in NOS mode? That thing probably sounds horrid...

It was about the same level of quality as my Marantz CD-60 BEFORE I did a few simple mods on the CD-60(not done by a longshot), but since I enjoy the sound of the CD-60 modded, I was thinking of getting a DAC for my PC(which is my main source) that sounds more like that.

I've had a Cayin CDT-17A in the past I was pleased with, I was also pleased with Trend Audio UD10 connected to a DAC-AH (TDA1543 in parallel, NOS, and TDA1543 to out via PIO caps).

But for a while I had other intrests so those have all been sold.

Since I have a CD-50 too, it would be perfect if it could be fitted w digital in and used as a DAC, but that's probably alot harder then it sounds.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.