Need advice on Wall mount CD player. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Old 10th December 2011, 04:33 PM   #1
MannyE is offline MannyE  United States
diyAudio Member
Default Need advice on Wall mount CD player.

My Nakamichi Soundspace 5 just gave up the ghost and thanks to the stupid proprietary EVERYTHING I can't re-use anything and am currently figuring out the pinouts so I can at least use the powered speakers for something later on.

It lasted 11 years, so I'm not too crazed about it.

First, what the system is used for... As you can imagine by the Nak system, this is more of a decorative product than one used for critical listening. It sits on the wall in my livingroom and 11 years ago the Soundspce was pretty cool looking in a Bang & Olufsen kind of way, but without the style "staying power" of that brand. The Soundpace 5 is looking pretty dated in 2011.

So I see this as an opportunity to build myself a cool looking wall mount CD player... I am not interested in excellent sound qulaity as much as I am in it looking unique (like just having the CD spinning exposed).

Has anyone done something like this? I've seen plenty of turntable style like the flatfish : FLATFISH
but nothing really wall mounted.

I've got a great little Orb amp (which will be mounted in a closet behind the wall where the system lives) and some very efficient DIY speaker components I will be cobbling up to hang next to the transport.

I'm thinking something on a rich wooden "plinth" maybe MDF with walnut burl veneer. Very minimalistic.. like just a "play" button... the feeling will be very turntable-like.. no skipping back and forth, just play and wait for the disc to end, then change to the next one.
Old 14th November 2015, 01:20 PM   #2
MannyE is offline MannyE  United States
diyAudio Member
I never updated this. It wasn't the main unit at all. Iy was the power supply. I got a new (used) one and the player is still rocking 4 years later

Click the image to open in full size.

Sent from my TARDIS at the restaurant at the end of the universe while eating Phil.

Hide this!Advertise here!