AUDIO ALCHEMIST CD/DAC EXPERTS ? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th December 2011, 09:37 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default AUDIO ALCHEMIST CD/DAC EXPERTS ?

here is the story

for the CD player its a product 8 player .... costumer complains about skipping tracks and all short of "reading" problems replaced the pick up KSS240 ( still have access to good quality ones ) plug and play all is working much better .. still if operates for more than 5-6 hours will behave almost in the same way but not that worst ...

since power supply is OK and rest of the boars looks pretty much OK i suspect the the pcb down under pick up might suffer from either capacitor or soldering issues

i will move towards replacing the all transport if possible

now as about the product 8 DAC connected with a coax input created all shorts of digital noises ( unexplained ) look at the power supply and the rest of the boards had some suspicious soldering issues checked that very carefully also lift the DAC board ( its a daughter board ) and noticed that DAC and coax driver even-though smd was soldered by hand ( pretty messy job )

don't even know if the IC is original or some body tried some upgrade IC is CS4397-KS and CS8420-cs

after the resoldering DAC seems to be OK though the front analog end sounded to me very poor

any info is very welcome

kind regards sakis
Old 7th December 2011, 08:38 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

60 ppl read my question and still no answer ... makes me think that there is actually no documentation around these machines ...
Old 7th December 2011, 04:16 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I did try to find info, and could find none at all on line. I would suggest you post photos of the inside of the units. Skipping, though, is very rarely caused by electronic issues, so I would say you should try "silicone treatment" of the platter & tracking motors. I gave a detailed description of doing this on the recent thread about a Berendsen cd player. Also, of course, check that nothing is preventing the laser from moving smoothly along the guide rails. Most sure way is to remove the drive gear between laser & motor to allow sliding the laser easily.
Old 8th December 2011, 07:37 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

thanks for your reply the things mentioned above are already done and as i said CD works fine for about 5-6 hours .... then the problem starts

i ve done a re soldering under the pick up pcb and will try today to see how things are going

kind regards
sakis

Hide this!Advertise here!