pcm1792 dac - use of the volume control feature

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Retired diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2002
I picked up some pcm1792, and I am going to make a dac with them for my cd pro 2, possibly along with the ad1896 (i will swap for the src4192/3 once they are available).

Has anyone tried to use the volume control feature of this dac? The datasheet says 0 to -120db with 0.5db/step, which seems perfectly fine for my use, and it doesn't seem too hard to control, using a pic.

Also, can anyone recommend any good surface mount opto-isolators for the digital control lines for this dac?

--
Brian

Joined 2002
sonnya said:
I have 3 SRC4192IDB so yes you can get one of them.

On the SRC4193 page under "samples" there is a sample button at SRC4193IDB...

Sonny

Actually, all I am looking for is the SRC4193, since it can be controlled by SPI. Thanks for the offer, but i guess I will have to wait for the SRC4193 samples to arrive.

As for the SRC4192, I have the AD1896, which is pin compatible for now to play with, so I don't need the SRC4192.

If anyone else has any extra SRC4193 samples, let me know!

--
Brian

Joined 2002
sonnya said:
:) Maybe i will be nice and order it through my new company..... and send you a sample.

I have just registered the domain : www.mirand.dk

I will be up next week.

I don't think that the problem is that they won't ship it to me, but instead that they are currently out of stock of this item. I have gotten other samples from them before a few times.

When did you request this item?

Thanks for your generosity.

--
Brian

Joined 2002
Re: DAC pots

jewilson said:
Brian,

My concern in using a the newer dac for a pot is the linearity of the silicon. Maybe, a R2/R ladder dac, one that has no opamp internal to it that might be the best choice. You might look at some of Analog Devices older parts.

The PCM1792 doesn't have internal opamps, and just outputs current from the dacs, and I plan on making the I/V stage with opa627 opamps.

I don't know of any other dacs with volume controls, besides the ad1955.

What is the best way to put a solid signal into the dac, so that I can do a response graph of the linearity of the volume control? Is there any easy way to input a solid level response into the dac?

--
Brian

Attachments

• pcm1792-block_diagram.gif
    pcm1792-block_diagram.gif
    16.4 KB · Views: 617
DAC Volume

Brian,

Burr Brown makes several parts, both parts have thin film laser trimmed resistors. So, no silicon resistor to cause distortions. The two parts are a DAC7545 with has both analog and digital grounds and the DAC7541A which has only one ground pin. Both parts are 12 bits and have a +10/-10 maximum input at the reference pin.

I don't know if these parts or still in production but they would work well, however the are linear taper

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.