Nakamichi OMS-2A Loading Belt - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st December 2011, 03:43 PM   #1
Plundering the Planet From the Comfort of Home
diyAudio Member

Default Nakamichi OMS-2A Loading Belt

This one is stretched beyond recognition, any idea the proper size? I have slipped on a regular rubber band that almost gets it to work properly and can go from there, but the exact size would be nice to have. Nak part number 0C83308A, same as for other similar models CDP-2, OMS-20.
Old 1st December 2011, 11:27 PM   #2
Nanook is offline Nanook  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default can't do a search?

try here. $24 for a cd player "kit for Nakamichi cd players"
Old 2nd December 2011, 12:14 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I was thinking more along the lines of about $1 for the belt...I'll order a few from MCM and post a working belt size, this is a common issue with the Nakamichi CD players. ESLabs has them for $10 shipped, but I probably need an MCM order anyway.
Old 3rd December 2011, 05:32 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

There is some other place on the net to get Nakamichi parts. I bought some parts for a tape deck a while back and they were pretty cheap. Apparently I didn't bookmark the site. Maybe someone posted some sources on audiokarma.
Old 20th October 2012, 12:10 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

After nearly a year of searching, I've identified the proper specs for the belt for these units. The MCM 42-1230 (REPLC.BELT C.M. #AV00026 3.875 X.05 Square Belts, I.C.: 3.875, Thickness: 0.059) is the ticket. Even slight deviation from this size causes operational issues with the tray function. The equivalent metric size is I: 31.00 H: 1.50. Price is right at $1.81 from MCM. ESLabs also has replacement belts for Nak cd players at $10 shipped. The Marrs deal on ebay for $25 is a bit high methinks for a single belt.

Last edited by DreadPirate; 20th October 2012 at 12:13 AM.
Old 24th December 2012, 08:10 PM   #6
Drscott is offline Drscott  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Same problem with OMS-2a

My OMS-2a has a "sticky" drawer too. I opened it up today (finally after all these years) and the belt looks loose, so I am taking a chance on a new belt being the fix. This is my analysis of the operation of the drawer:
As the drawer opens, the first thing that happens is the upper plastic section of the mechanism must lift up to remove the CD clamping mechanism. If this piece doesn't lift up then the drawer will not move. There is a spring on the back of the plastic section that forces it downward, holding the CD in place when the drawer is closed. I believe the force to lift this piece and overcome the spring is provided by the motor/belt, and if the belt is stretched, it will slip and not be able to provide enough oomph to lift the piece and free the tray.
Anyway, I ordered the belt you suggest from MCM, decent price even though shipping is $9. I ordered a new soldering iron for kicks on the same shipment, so that makes it more worthwhile. Hope this does the trick! I like the OMS-2A and even at 25 years old it sounds nice and is my third line CD player in the exercise room.
Old 24th December 2012, 09:18 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to georgehifi
DreadPirate, seeing your a tight-a**e like me, depending on what the belt is made from, rubber or neoprene. This will work for you.
Quick slipping belt fix for CD player mechs

Cheers George
Old 27th December 2012, 05:03 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Default Belt shrinkage

I also considered cutting the belt, taking a short piece out, then carefully gluing the ends together, thereby creating a shorter, tighter belt. Figuring I could spend more on experimenting with different adhesives and possibly dissolving the belt, I decided to just buy a new one. But I do like your idea of "cooking" the belt to shrink it...
I'll wait until the new belt arrives, and then do some experimenting on the old one.
Old 1st January 2013, 01:22 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Default New belt = success

Just reporting back, got the new belt from MCM, saw how much the old one was stretched. Put it in and voila...the drawer opens!!! If anyone has this problem, then the belt will do the trick.

Hide this!Advertise here!