Nakamichi OMS-2A Loading Belt

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This one is stretched beyond recognition, any idea the proper size? I have slipped on a regular rubber band that almost gets it to work properly and can go from there, but the exact size would be nice to have. Nak part number 0C83308A, same as for other similar models CDP-2, OMS-20.

After nearly a year of searching, I've identified the proper specs for the belt for these units. The MCM 42-1230 (REPLC.BELT C.M. #AV00026 3.875 X.05 Square Belts, I.C.: 3.875, Thickness: 0.059) is the ticket. Even slight deviation from this size causes operational issues with the tray function. The equivalent metric size is I: 31.00 H: 1.50. Price is right at $1.81 from MCM. ESLabs also has replacement belts for Nak cd players at $10 shipped. The Marrs deal on ebay for $25 is a bit high methinks for a single belt.

Last edited:
Same problem with OMS-2a

My OMS-2a has a "sticky" drawer too. I opened it up today (finally after all these years) and the belt looks loose, so I am taking a chance on a new belt being the fix. This is my analysis of the operation of the drawer:
As the drawer opens, the first thing that happens is the upper plastic section of the mechanism must lift up to remove the CD clamping mechanism. If this piece doesn't lift up then the drawer will not move. There is a spring on the back of the plastic section that forces it downward, holding the CD in place when the drawer is closed. I believe the force to lift this piece and overcome the spring is provided by the motor/belt, and if the belt is stretched, it will slip and not be able to provide enough oomph to lift the piece and free the tray.
Anyway, I ordered the belt you suggest from MCM, decent price even though shipping is $9. I ordered a new soldering iron for kicks on the same shipment, so that makes it more worthwhile. Hope this does the trick! I like the OMS-2A and even at 25 years old it sounds nice and is my third line CD player in the exercise room.

Belt shrinkage

I also considered cutting the belt, taking a short piece out, then carefully gluing the ends together, thereby creating a shorter, tighter belt. Figuring I could spend more on experimenting with different adhesives and possibly dissolving the belt, I decided to just buy a new one. But I do like your idea of "cooking" the belt to shrink it...
I'll wait until the new belt arrives, and then do some experimenting on the old one.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.