Project FrankenAmp: 5.1 decoder/home cinema amplifier - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st December 2011, 04:50 PM   #11
MatM is offline MatM  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Interesting links.

For parts availability, I'm sticking strictly to items available from CPC/Farnell or RS. If these guys don't do it, you can guarantee its going to be painful to buy. They're pretty straight forward to order from.

Class D is definitely the way to go. As much as I'd like to run a set of gainclones, the heat dissispation of 6 channels means massive boxes with big heatsinks, kind of defeats the object. I've finally decided on choice of amp: going to be a set of 3 Tripath TA2021b boards from DIY! HIGH END! AUDIOPHILE AMLIFIER BASED ON THE MOST ADVANCED TRIPATH 'S CLASS-T TA2021B CHIP! (currently running a special offer 3for2 this month). Will take a risk at that price!

Power supplies are the other worry, especially if you spec 100w/channel amps. I've settled on a SMS (Meanwell GS220-15). Might have to smooth things down a little...

And finally,

Got the first quote back from my PCB production company: 183 for a 1off digitial input board!!!!! (or 58 each if I buy 5 or more). Currently checking why it's so damn expensive - they might be silkscreening, which adds a 75 offset to the order.

Will digest the links properly tonight. Good luck with LQFP64 soldering - you're braver than I am!

Mat
Old 21st December 2012, 07:16 PM   #12
MatM is offline MatM  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Its funny how the same projects come around at the same time of year. Dark nights, I guess.

We'll, 12months on from the original project and I've not been entirely idle, although no where near as productive as I wanted - mainly thanks to two house moves this year (thanks landlords).

For the sake of keeping my ears (and wife) happy, I decided to start with something much simpler - 2 channels only. What I've ended up with I'm now almost happy with, and has been. I posted the schematics on a different post here, but it's a toslink-in, speaker-out solution. I used baby-brother versions of the chips for this project - just a single SPDIF input and dual-channel DAC with attenuator, both Wolfson chips. System control via a little 16bit uC, which handles remote control inputs. I'm smug, mainly because it's proved some of the concepts for the "big" design.

Progressing the decoding stage, it looks like there won't be quite as much programming as planned. using a embedded Linux platform (still on beaglebone), both ALSA, GStreamer and JACK audio frameworks look like they could be configured to do exactly what I need. I'm struggling to get decent information on these (idiots guides), but all the lego pieces are definitely there.

What I can say from the 2 channel design is that those original german Tripath boards I found sound utterly fabulous for the money, powered from the big Meanwell SMP. It's breaking every law in audio design, work sounding fab at the moment.

So, in conclusion, the amps are de-risked, the DACS and SPDIF chipsets are pretty well de-risked, the pre-amp stage works, although needs refining. All thats left is to upgrade the DACS and prove the microprocessor stage (ok, thats the complex bit)...

Mat

Hide this!Advertise here!