Raspberry Pi -A New DIY'ers Digital Hub? - Page 7 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th September 2012, 12:14 PM   #61
vzs is offline vzs  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
for me it would need to be able to handle 90.3168/98.304MHz, while leaving the ESS OSF enabled. unless I use some sort of multiplier.

I think even with fifo we need to make sure its an audio frequency clock rate, the fifo will do what it can, but cant reverse aliasing
According to manual: "PCM Clock Mode
0 = Master mode. The PCM CLK is an output
and drives at the MCLK rate."

The question is how MCLK can be set - I didn't find this in the BCM2385 ARM peripherals.pdf

KOON3876, do you know something about how the PCM_MCLK frequency is set?
Old 10th September 2012, 02:18 PM   #62
diyAudio Member

Raspberry Pi • View topic - I2S: Anyone got it running?
Gert is talking about CLOCK control at this thread, but for internal clocks.

I want to supply MCLK (bit clock) from outside.
When I want to process 176.4kHz,
45.158MHz xtal -> as Master Clock, for DAC
45.158MHz -> HC163 counter -> 1/4 output = 11.2896MHz -> into PCM_CLK input, and Serial Clock, for DAC

So there will be multiplexer (1) = 45MHz/48MHz selection, multiplexer (2) = master clock and bit clock selection from counter output.
Old 10th September 2012, 06:18 PM   #63
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

Thanks, hadnt f0ound that thread there yet. so i'm just waiting a little bit while stocks of rev 1 run down before ordering, since there doesnt appear to be a way to order the rev 2 board specifically.

sounds like you want precisely what I want at least for now I can deal with 176.4 for this module, running 352khz audio on the go is one step too far =) so mate i'm waiting in the wings. guess I better start thinking about batteries to cope with the extra load of this thing, maybe just get a couple pouch cells for powering this AND the dac/amp.
Old 11th September 2012, 02:46 AM   #64
diyAudio Member

in my testing of the pi, the latest set of updates and a cmdline.txt fix seems to have helped USB quite a lot. I can get pretty clean (no obvious glitches) on playback with 44.1 and 48k using cmedia and BB/TI usb1 style UAC1 spdif audio 'cards'. but when I try the audio widget (uac2) it does not work well at all. so, the usb stack still has a ways to go before its ready for high-def

I'm hoping the uart (ttyACM0) will do all I need to talk to my arduino. it annoys me that its 3.3v and not 5v tolerant, so that I have to level convert to go to TTL.

I did try the FTDI standard 3.3v cable and that works, from my very short test of it. a pl2303 usb/serial dongle might also work (those are my 2 usuals for getting ttl serial out of a usb based linux board).
Old 11th September 2012, 01:21 PM   #65
vzs is offline vzs  Europe
diyAudio Member

Thanks for that thread, lot of useful info.

I'm also waiting for a v2 rev board and will probably try with it's internal PLL first although I have high doubts that especially for higher Fs rates the FIFO will not cope with the frequency differences.

Nevertheless the external clock seems the feasible solution and I'm eager to see if you try it with 176.4KHz (352.8KHz will be too much of a good I agree)

Last edited by vzs; 11th September 2012 at 01:24 PM.
Old 12th September 2012, 01:03 AM   #66
diyAudio Member

today I got the Pi talking to my arduino! uart to uart. for remote control purposes (client/server).

ext link: AMB Laboratories DIY Audio • View topic - Raspberry Pi + LCDuino system

tl;dr: use a cd4050 for quick and dirty uart 3.3/5v level conversion for arduino use.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7978129883_4f01dd5236_b.jpg (297.5 KB, 623 views)
File Type: jpg 7978131232_6a31e6c915_b.jpg (269.0 KB, 612 views)
File Type: jpg 7978130792_67302ea65a_b.jpg (152.7 KB, 599 views)
Old 15th September 2012, 03:10 PM   #67
diyAudio Member

Has anyone got a v2 yet?
In the meantime, I've got mpd running on mine, and have started outputting text to an LCD (band and track name etc). Going to use some gpios for track selection buttons etc.
Old 15th September 2012, 03:20 PM   #68
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I'm following this thread and am planning to pull the trigger on an order for one or two of these.. I'll wait until I am sure that the V2.0 is what I'll end up with.

Lead times seem to be getting shorter at Farnell and Newark/Element 14.. I've heard rumors that MCM has them as well.
Old 15th September 2012, 05:32 PM   #69
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by philpoole View Post
Has anyone got a v2 yet?
In the meantime, I've got mpd running on mine, and have started outputting text to an LCD (band and track name etc). Going to use some gpios for track selection buttons etc.
are you using lcdproc?

I plan to try that. I used it about 10 yrs ago but not recently
Old 16th September 2012, 08:47 PM   #70
diyAudio Member

Hi,
No, I'm blatently taking inspiration from here http://http://jeremyblythe.blogspot....erial-lcd.html
So, just treating the LCD as a serial port, using python to make system calls to mpc, parsing the text from mpc status, formatting and writing to the serial port.
Unfortunately, the LCD is a bit small, but will suffice for now.

I intend to have some buttons attached to GPIO pins, which would then prompt the python code to call mpc to skip track etc (as well as have remote access to mpd).

Hide this!Advertise here!