Raspberry Pi -A New DIY'ers Digital Hub? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st January 2012, 08:58 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
(through a USB hub, it's only got one USB connector onboard)
It's a double high.

Doc
Old 1st January 2012, 09:27 AM   #12
diyAudio Moderator

Threads merged.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 1st January 2012, 10:44 PM   #13
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkmouse View Post
...handy module for developing cheap and easy to use digital playback systems.
I was thinking of a controller for biasing/switching in an amp i am envisioning...

Wonder how easy it would be to get a FORTH stack running on it? Been 40 years since i implemented one of those thou.

dave
Old 1st January 2012, 10:52 PM   #14
diyAudio Moderator

Isn't that the one with the Reverse Polish Notation? Never got my head 'round that!
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 1st January 2012, 11:24 PM   #15
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Yes, very simple, small, powerful & can be very quick for an interpreted language.

Ideal for writing a compact & elegant machine control language.

dave

PS: googling the subject has turned up a wealth of FORTH on arm hits.
Old 5th January 2012, 12:36 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Yup, this thing is a fully fledged pc that can currently run a few different linux distributions - I believe the development OS they are using most is Fedora.

There's no need to fiddle around with assembly language, or even C. Compiling a nice high level object oriented language like Java should be no problem. As dave mentioned, its basically an iPhone/android. I've written a couple of android apps - theyre written in java.

It also has a load of GPIO (general purpose I/O) pins. I don't know exactly what they are capable of as yet, but it could be that with the right software they are capable of almost anything.

I'm very interested in sitting this thing in a box with a Buffalo DAC, doing crossover and equalisation in software and feeding the DAC I2S.
BuffaloIII supports up to 8 channels over I2S, so maybe this is possible (I have a BuffaloII though, maybe it only supports 2?). I'm excited anyway

Last edited by valleyman; 5th January 2012 at 12:43 PM.
Old 5th January 2012, 09:00 PM   #17
deandob is offline deandob  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by valleyman View Post
Here's some good news for everyone:

RaspberryPiBoard - eLinux.org

The GPIO pins are able to output I2S. I'm going to get my hands on one of these when they're available for sure. I'm a software developer by trade... I hope I'll be able to get my head round making that happen!
This is an interesting board at this price point - the USB chip supports high speed (480Mbps) USB so for $25 and a small memory card you could boot linux with a dedicated small app running to convert from USB High Speed (with UAC2) to I2S without too much difficulty (for hirez or multichannel audio). The $35 device supports USB 2.0 but its not clear if the cheaper model with the embedded USB support in the SoC supports High Speed 2.0.

Could be a nice open source project!
Old 19th January 2012, 08:00 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

I'm considering this as a web back-end for control.

my controller of choice, these days, is the arduino. its fast, talks very low level and is probably secure (no tasking o/s, no remote users, no nothing - just your code!). but the arduino is really too simple to be involved, directly, in the network.

the pi system, though, could have a full IP stack (in software, unlike the arduino ethernet shield which is ip-stack-on-a-chip) and it could have ip-tables or whatever firewall stuff you want. to me, that's the minimum needed to be a 'host' on a network. even a trusted network, I insist on some inbound security and access control. when you can change things via network, you need some decent access control. a linux software imple. can do this.

then, couple the linux engine to the arduino control engine over serial. not hard and its a nice abstract link. you can even debug and simulate each side on its own. and one does not need the other; you can have the core function of the box still run (arduino based) even if the optional networking feature is not installed. if you did the whole thing on the linux-pi board, you'd *have* to always have it. I'm not sure I like that architecture.

as soon as the pi's are buyable, I'll get one and see if its the linux engine I'm hoping it can be. ethernet on one side, lots of linux sw in the middle and some usb's and serial ports for comms: "mmm, that's good computin'!"
Old 7th February 2012, 11:16 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
Just found this link to the technical specs on the SoC on the Ars blog, seemed to me that people here might be interested.

Broadcom BCM2835 ARM Peripherals - PDF
Old 7th February 2012, 11:35 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Yeah, that was only released to the public VERY recently in this - Two things you thought you weren’t going to get: a manufacturing date and an SoC datasheet | Raspberry Pi

Also mentions that they now have a end date for production in mind and hope to have the first batch of 10,000 for sale by end of the month!

Hide this!Advertise here!