Raspberry Pi -A New DIY'ers Digital Hub? - Page 12 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th December 2012, 05:25 PM   #111
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Got my pi up and running and am in fact surfing the net with it at this very moment, not quite as response as my regular linux box but so far so it works ok.. I will be investigating MPD and various other options soon.
Old 9th January 2013, 10:04 PM   #112
diyAudio Member

I have a Logitech Media Server running on my Pi with 256MB RAM.
Currently I have a Squeezebox Classic connected to the amplifier but I should get another 512MB version soon and that one I would like to use it with a software squeeze box player.

The LMS works very well. Only while scanning many new files in the library I'm unable to stream. But that's not something I do allot.

For the RPi I use SqueezePlug which is based on Raspbian.
To control the Squeezebox from my Android phone I use Orange Squeeze (https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....orangesqueeze)
I never use the original Squeezebox remote any more.
Old 10th January 2013, 12:54 AM   #113
diyAudio Member

I use my RPi as a remote desktop to several Windoze boxes around the house. It falls over, but only rarely, it's good for running rdesktop and quiet, which pleases my wife. It also runs full HD from machines that don't have a video card that'll run 1920*1080.

It definitely works as a music server, based on the numerous accounts of satisfactory installations, but I don't recommend it as a music player based on my experience. I put 10's of hours into trying to make it work, but I just get pops and clicks from the USB DAC. Maybe you can get a more recent version that works better, but maybe not. It's a risk. Not so much of the money, but the hours of work that you can put into it without getting a satisfactory result.

There doesn't seem to be a satisfactory resolution documented on the RPi forum. If it could really be made to work reliably I'd expect to see some evidence of it there. As it is there are some dead threads from a few months ago with people complaining about it not working. It's difficult to tell whether those people who say they've got it working just aren't as critical as people on here are likely to be.

Still, you can always use it as a remote desktop.
Old 10th January 2013, 01:18 AM   #114
diyAudio Moderator

Thinking of using mine as a print server, and not much else at this point.. Thanks for the update cc..
Old 10th January 2013, 02:39 PM   #115
diyAudio Member

with usb1 audio (older cm102 cmedia usb/spdif converter) or the TI pcm usb/spdif converter, the rpi box (for me) has been working for weeks continuously. it seems stable with the latest code (from december).

not sure yet about usb2 and uac2 audio but older 16bit 44/48k audio dongles work fine.

what doesn't work so great is usb/wifi-n dongles. I can't get a long term wireless connection to stay. but wired ethernet and wired audio works ok.
Old 10th January 2013, 04:55 PM   #116
DF96 is online now DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Father Christmas brought me an Rpi. It doesn't seem to like being left unattended for too long. I have had wi-fi and external disc (on separate occasions) just stop working. Not sure if it is a temperature thing (USB chip?), or a badly behaved inactivity timer (it sleeps but won't wake up) or just minor USB power overload causing a bit of voltage sag. Comes up fine after a reboot, which suggests possible memory leak or counter overflow?
Old 10th January 2013, 04:58 PM   #117
diyAudio Member

power power power.

I soldered wires from a barrel dc power connector that I mounted to its plastic case (ebay case from the UK). I ensure that I give it a linear 5v supply and that seems to make a huge diff.

hot plugging of usb can be problematic so I avoid it. it almost always crashes when I plug or unplug usb things. so I leave them connected and do a shutdown if I have to change topology. sigh. well, its not perfect but its not a laptop, either, where you WOULD need hotplug to always always work.
Old 10th January 2013, 05:03 PM   #118
diyAudio Member

OK. I will keep an eye on voltage levels.

Just received the book about it today, and interested to read that the main chip is essentially the guts of a TV set top box.
Old 10th January 2013, 05:03 PM   #119
diyAudio Moderator

Considering how incredibly cheap this thing is I guess we can overlook a few quirks provided it mostly does what we intended it to do when purchased.

That said I am not sure mine has a future at this point in time..
Old 10th January 2013, 05:08 PM   #120
diyAudio Member

I actually asked for one just to play; having spent a career playing with real computers but never daring to play with the Microsoft mess I regard PCs as just an annoying tool and I wanted to be able to play again. I was at one time a Unix-hater but who can argue with a DIY OS like linux? My aim is to teach myself Python, as it must be over 10 years since I learnt a new language. Any audio application will be a bonus.

Hide this!Advertise here!