Raspberry Pi -A New DIY'ers Digital Hub? - Page 11 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st December 2012, 03:45 PM   #101
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanjh13 View Post
If i plug in a 'turtle beach audio advantage micro 2' adaptor to get a toslink option them Im a step closer? Come on don't make me the one that killed this thread.

that's the exact dongle I have clicked in right now on this photo. the TB dongle is bit perfect (cm102 inside) and works at 44/48k just fine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8168333098_fbc675e900_b.jpg (165.6 KB, 576 views)
Old 1st December 2012, 04:18 PM   #102
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Just got mine, still waiting on a few parts like the power supply dongle to get here before I load raspbian..

No reason I can see why this can't compete in the big leagues performance-wise with a little clever engineering, a mature OS (not yet there) and some careful thought afore-hand wrt implementation.
Old 1st December 2012, 04:40 PM   #103
diyAudio Member

the config, as pictured in the 'colorful case' (lol) is fine for a headless audio player. the opto out goes into a DAC and that's where the audio matters (for the most part). at 44.1k rate, it keeps up fine.

now, over wifi its not super reliable. I used the recommended usb dongle and while it does work, wired ethernet is SO much better. if you can, at all, use wired (even powerline ethernet) you are strongly encouraged to do so.

it mounts its music shares across either nfs or samba (or even a mix). that remote disk stack works fine and the tcp/ip stack is, of course, fine.

what is NOT fine is putting audio behind a hub. there was an old linux bug about usb1 audio devices behind usb1 and usb2 style hubs. I think usb1 (old style) hubs are transparent enough but usb2 can 'hide' some of the audio features and the card may be seen but won't work. same with wifi, it can be partially seen but not fully init. putting the usb device ON the REAL 2 usb ports always works. and so, you have 2 usb choices of things to connect and try to avoid hubs if you can. in my config, I have only 1 usb item populated and so I'm trying to make it as easy as I can on poor little pi-usb (the 2nd usb cord is optional and if it ever gives me problems, I can remove it and its feature).
Old 3rd December 2012, 10:29 AM   #104
Magsy is offline Magsy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I've played with mine quite a lot and lost many hours to it.

The USB falls over all the time, really all the time. Ethernet performance is shocking and if you hold a steady 2-3mbps it will die in ~2-4hours requiring a reboot.

The ethernet is USB provided so there is already an internal USB hub...

It is so slow, people are glossing over it but it is the slowest thing ever with a real distro on it.

Fun to play with but has no place in a reliable audio setup. I've had much better luck with small routers (TP Link WR703n)

I've messed with the PI all round, removed polyfuses, added caps, massive linear PSU, heatsinks and overclocking; it is a kids toy

This looks a bit more serious : ODROID :: Hardkernel
Old 3rd December 2012, 05:03 PM   #105
diyAudio Moderator

Worst case I guess I could use it as a print server on ethernet..
Old 4th December 2012, 12:28 AM   #106
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magsy View Post

The USB falls over all the time, really all the time. Ethernet performance is shocking and if you hold a steady 2-3mbps it will die in ~2-4hours requiring a reboot.

It is so slow, people are glossing over it but it is the slowest thing ever with a real distro on it.

Fun to play with but has no place in a reliable audio setup. I've had much better luck with small routers (TP Link WR703n)

I've messed with the PI all round, removed polyfuses, added caps, massive linear PSU, heatsinks and overclocking; it is a kids toy

Can't say I'm having the same experience....running MPD on the PI, controlling it with my Android Tablet, Android phone, as well as GMPC on my Linux computers while the PI streams my ripped FLAC CD's to my Reciever via a usb sound card using a digital Coax connection. Heck I'm even streaming my music to my smart phone when on the road!

When I'm not using MPD, I'm running Pianobar on with a web front end to control Pianobar.

As for the USB...yes...some problems there, but I don't run into them unless I try to run XBMC, otherwise with MPD and Pianobar, the PI has been rock solid for me.
Old 4th December 2012, 01:04 AM   #107
diyAudio Moderator

This is definitely more encouraging.. I've got plenty of time to figure this out, purchased it for the novelty and challenge.. I mean $35 for a system on a board that outperforms PCs from about a decade or so back, pretty wild IMO..

More details on MPD?
Old 4th December 2012, 09:06 AM   #108
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkr View Post
This is definitely more encouraging.. I've got plenty of time to figure this out, purchased it for the novelty and challenge.. I mean $35 for a system on a board that outperforms PCs from about a decade or so back, pretty wild IMO..

More details on MPD?
MPD was a piece of cake, just ran sudo apt-get install mpd, the edit the /etc/mpd.conf file. My ripped FLAC files are on a shared drive attached to a hacked version of a Linksys NSLU2 that I mount via nfs.

Using mpdroid on my Android phone/tablet and running gmpc on my ubuntu laptop and desktop computer.

I bought a cheap sound card for the SPDIF conversion to my amplifier which sounds great Aliexpress.com : Buy PCM2704 USB DAC USB Power fiber optic coaxial analog output sz 11 from Reliable audio amplifier board suppliers on Besram Technology Inc.

[image]https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...xL_5pWKsPbXdY3[/image]

Actually rather shocked at how well the analog port sounded on this card too. When I installed this card I had to make a change to the /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf file and changed the usb-snd card line too:

Code:
options snd-usb-audio index=0 nrpacks=1
This changes the USB sound DAC to be the first device (Default).
Old 4th December 2012, 04:21 PM   #109
diyAudio Member

Default Bad performance; maybe a bad set of boards...

From what I understand; the new 512 MB version (Rev 2) addresses this issue by separating the Ethernet from the USB hub.
More importantly, and something I am more sure of (as I cannot find the quote for the Ethernet statement above) is that certain builds of the boards had issues related to performance and especially the lan performance.

If you check the chart on this page: RaspberryPi Boards - eLinux.org
you will see a dozen different build versions, some with issues that mirror your experience.

FWIT-You may want to order a new board. Get a new Rev2 512 MB and see how that performs. I have three RPI and one of them performs really well. It is overclocked to 900 MHz and I use it for XBMC. One of them is a dog, that disconnects from wifi, loses keyboard connectivity when LAN connected, and I chalk it up to the fact that I bought them 3 months apart, and I probably have 2 good ones, and a dog...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ski522 View Post
Can't say I'm having the same experience....running MPD on the PI, controlling it with my Android Tablet, Android phone, as well as GMPC on my Linux computers while the PI streams my ripped FLAC CD's to my Reciever via a usb sound card using a digital Coax connection. Heck I'm even streaming my music to my smart phone when on the road!

When I'm not using MPD, I'm running Pianobar on with a web front end to control Pianobar.

As for the USB...yes...some problems there, but I don't run into them unless I try to run XBMC, otherwise with MPD and Pianobar, the PI has been rock solid for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxworks View Post
the config, as pictured in the 'colorful case' (lol) is fine for a headless audio player. the opto out goes into a DAC and that's where the audio matters (for the most part). at 44.1k rate, it keeps up fine.

now, over wifi its not super reliable. I used the recommended usb dongle and while it does work, wired ethernet is SO much better. if you can, at all, use wired (even powerline ethernet) you are strongly encouraged to do so.

it mounts its music shares across either nfs or samba (or even a mix). that remote disk stack works fine and the tcp/ip stack is, of course, fine.

what is NOT fine is putting audio behind a hub. there was an old linux bug about usb1 audio devices behind usb1 and usb2 style hubs. I think usb1 (old style) hubs are transparent enough but usb2 can 'hide' some of the audio features and the card may be seen but won't work. same with wifi, it can be partially seen but not fully init. putting the usb device ON the REAL 2 usb ports always works. and so, you have 2 usb choices of things to connect and try to avoid hubs if you can. in my config, I have only 1 usb item populated and so I'm trying to make it as easy as I can on poor little pi-usb (the 2nd usb cord is optional and if it ever gives me problems, I can remove it and its feature).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magsy View Post

Old 4th December 2012, 06:27 PM   #110
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danrgleason View Post
From what I understand; the new 512 MB version (Rev 2) addresses this issue by separating the Ethernet from the USB hub.
I don't believe so...outside of more memory in the SoC, the USB core inside the SoC is still the same and the LAN IC access that USB core. Some have argued the USB core in the SoC is a poor choice and can't be fixed, while some believe that over time the USB driver can eventually solve issue.

The problem is rather strange for sure, some it affects badly while others seem to be okay. For me, as soon as I fire up an CPU intensive processes, my LAN port dies and won't come back. But I have not had a single problem running MPD and/or pianobar streaming FLAC from my NAS system so I'm happy. I had wanted to run XBMC on the PI but gave up when I learn XBMC on the PI doesn't support ALSA (for the time being) and so couldn't take advantage of my USB sound card.

But for me I'm happy with the PI...my main goal was to get rid of my Roku Soundbridge while having the ability to play FLAC and the PI does the job and more!

Hide this!Advertise here!