Raspberry Pi -A New DIY'ers Digital Hub?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
and it's out.
I kept wanting to buy a fanless SDD netbook to use as media computer but with this thing that sounds like money down the toilet. I think I'll get one.

I haven't written code since Z80 days
you guys must be 90 something, right? :D
just kiddin', I've started with the Z80 (assembly) myself. great processor, I do miss it sometimes but with stuff like the Pi even nostalgia is difficult to justify :)

The online posts (local cloub/hackerspace email lists) I see say the first 10k are sold, and others will be built and sold "traditionally" through distributors. An aquaintance ordered one from a distributor, and got a ship date of May something. There's a few gory details on the 'temporary' site:

The Raspberry Pi Launch

At least it's not vaporware, and they should be readily available to meet demand in a few months.

We did some embedded development on ARM Xscale systems in university, about 6 years back. Even then, with speeds and RAM significantly lower than this it was possible and even easy to use them for quite powerful tasks. Multichannel audio is definitely not an issue here. It's only a matter of getting it out of the device, for which it seems to have enough options. In the worst case scenario, one would need to program the GPIO pins to get what he needs out, in digital form.

What I wonder is if the default 2-chan audio out is at all usable.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
you guys must be 90 something, right? :D
just kiddin', I've started with the Z80 (assembly) myself. great processor, I do miss it sometimes but with stuff like the Pi even nostalgia is difficult to justify :)

The Z80 was the 1st µProcessor i did assembly on, i got my start with System/360 assembler, my favorite of the more than a dozen i learned was 6809.

dave

Anyone got one of these and using it?

mine arrived a couple of days ago - and luckily "raspbian", a Linux distro with some raspberry pi specific optimisations has just been released.

The onboard 3.5mm sound output doest seem the greatest quality (understandable design trade-off, not a whinge).

Have tried 2 different USB dacs Behringer UCA-202 and AlienDAC, both work, but I was getting occasional blasts of white noise on the AlienDAC.

No serious listening yet, this is all in the very much "get it working without glitching" phase. Have my audio files mounted as network drives (NFS), running mplayer with cache setting.

Using an ALDI "ipad USB battery pack" instead of USB 5V plugpack sounds better..
so maybe a decent 5v usb power supply will help.

Currently experimenting with using it as a headless flacplayer, remote controlling from my android phone, getting OK results with the mplayer in the raspbian distro, and the "SSHmote" android app to remote control it.

FrontPage - Raspbian
SSHmote - The Linux Multimedia Remote Control | zokama.com

haven't tried this yet, but this looks interesting as well, and there are android remote control apps so I can drive it from my phone:

Raspbmc About

I got mine last week. I wondered a whole weekend where on earth am I going to find an SD-card reader and then I remembered I've got two of them at home and they're called digital cameras. Duh.

Raspbian launched the same day, pretty much which was great. I managed to boot it without a glitch and it's quite decent. HDMI output is working without issues, but I haven't managed to test the audio output. I don't have too great hopes about it though, but given how I've got ODAC, Bantam DAC and Grub DAC laying around, I don't think it's too much of an issue. They're equally microscopic.

One thing though - most peripherals are not usable on this device without an USB hub. The on-board USB can provide up to a 100ma and even for that you need a decent power source, which won't sag under the load. It's about a coin toss of a chance that anything you plug into the USB will work, so I'd recommend fetching some sort of a good USB hub if you intend to plug fancy things into it. The good part is that you can power the device itself from one of the ports on the hub (so I've read on the forum), which still means only one, good power source.

I've also managed to run OpenELEC - The living room PC for everyone on it with good success. I did a cross-compile and prepared an SD-card myself but there are people that provide almost daily builds, ready to be burned on an SD card, online.

That's it so far. I'll be hunting down a good usb hub and start preparing a living room media center with one of them.

I've been tinkering with this on and off since I got it, but still have had glitchy playback with USB - as reported as a known bug by others.

.. it looks like just in the last week the USB playback bug has been sorted out... well I'm 3 tracks in with mpd and no glitch yet! - at least with onboard LAN playback

read here: https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware/issues/19

info on how to add the bleeding edge firmware required: Raspberry Pi • View topic - New repository component for bleeding-edge firmware

further refs:
Raspberry Pi • View topic - usb audio glitches when writing to SD card

I finally ordered one. its about 1.5 months wait right now at newark.

my first use would not be for anything video related. I care more about controllers and network-engines, these days. its hard to imagine a better firewall/IP-stack/webserver than modern linux and so it should be a nice little web front-end for my controller projects.

should be interesting to compare against something like an arduino-mega. price is even cheaper for the linux board and software devel is MUCH easier than doing the arduino thing (been tearing my hair out with the stupid bootloader bug in the current mega 2560's! pretty useless as shipped and I'm about to give up on mega atmels.)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.