Tda1547 Dac

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Howcome there are so few constructions around these DAC - chips?
Not considered good, or just scarce?
I have spent a day searching the web, trying to find descriptions or tweaks, but came up emptyhanded.
Can someone please help / comment / suggest something about the "DAC-7".

Arne K

Actually, two DAC7's are combined in Philips SACD1000. I didn't really take the format serious yet for theoretical reasons so I don't know of any other "modern" applications for this dac. I do own three cdplayers using it. They are Philips cd950/951 so I would think there's Marantz's out there using it. As for the sonics, they are nothing to get excited about if you just have it plugged in. It needs, at least thats what my ears are telling me, about three weeks to "break in". Every time you unplug. In short when it's ready it handels the bitstream with authority. You are not listening to a machine, you enjoy the music. There is also a noticable wide dynamic range in contrast to an overall not so vibrant yet defined experience. Highs do not all sound alike and have depht to them. Since I have not had years of experience with CDM9 and the only players I own that use DAC7 also use CDM9, I cannot distinguish it's influence on the overall experience. I would like to combine a CDM4/19 and DAC7 to compare it to my all time favorite combo CDM4/19-TDA1543 using the same connectors, same style ps's and wiring, because I do kind of miss out on a certain punch in the bass dept. I think.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
More info please...

This is definitely true. Marantz has already changed some CD player models from TDA1547 to Burr Browns (or, better: TIs).

Probably because of the availability...and because all new constructions are smd...

I have seen that Philips / Marantz uses this DAC in top-line CD-players, and SACD-players, (also some Teac & Kenwood models).
But tweaking around the DAC is scarse, other than new analog part, trafos or ZapFilter.

The HDAM can ofcourse be discussed, but a change of op-amps from 2 x NJM2114 to OPA2604, and 4 x NJM5532 (smd) to AD825 has unleashed my CD-16. (And new DC-blocking caps).

Have sofar also changed all caps on digital/servo board to OsCons.

Arne K

Marantz so far used TDA1547 in the CD-17 models and has now gone for two PCM1716 (mono mode). Everything else was nearly left unchanged. Marantz definitely said the changes are made because of the TDA leaving the scene.
BTW. The newer model sounds slightly better than the old one, especially if the "short" digital filter of the PCM1716 is selected.

I might be a bit sentimental towards Philips IC's but I would like to know what exactly sounds better in the non Philips CD17. I can't believe not much needed to change when diff. mode dacs are being swapped for mono dacs. Nor can I believe that the original filter sounds better applied to a different DAC. Well that I can believe but it's imho not likely to occur.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Also in Marantz SA-1 SACD...

Arne K

Attachments

• marantz_sa1_hdam.jpg
    marantz_sa1_hdam.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 3,217
Nice DAC...

Hi,

The TDA1547 is a very nice thing to play with! Also used in many older Marantz CDPs.

In original application recommendation like in the datasheet the DAC sounds not exiting. Who wonders – four OPAs "destroy" the sound! Not the quality and benefit of the DAC inside can be heard, just the poor chain of OPAs. I have a high recommended DAC from the mid of the 90th. Camtech = Audiolab from GB. The TDA1547 was followed by thee external NE5534. Even with best caps in PSU and feedback the sound was a bit of limited.

First success was a complete removement of the filter OP chain – just the first OPA as buffer for the DAC internal i/u stage remained. A simple network of 400Ohm output resistor and 8,2nF cap filters passive the HF trash. The sound improvement was indescribable! The dynamics and agility of real music came in. A update of the NE5534 to a OPA627 brought further improvement. Maybe you can also tweak your DAC, but you need the schematics.

The best thing with the TDA1547 offering many opportunities is that it is really symmetrically and offer the chance to use the internal I-source. But it is giving just 0,1mA current. So external transformers could be used, like http://digilander.libero.it/paeng/a__tda1547_tweak.htm. Or the best way, build an Pass D1 output stage like thing adapted to just 0,1mA output current, see http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=19922 starting with post No 9.

Tweaky regards

Klaus

frenzic said:
I would like to combine a CDM4/19 and DAC7 to compare it to my all time favorite combo CDM4/19-TDA1543 using the same connectors, same style ps's and wiring, because I do kind of miss out on a certain punch in the bass dept. I think.

You cannot use the TDA1547 on its own. It is a bitstream processor and requires a bitstream input from something like the SAA7350 or the TDA1373.

ray.

i own an is5022 "sound enhancer" (studio equipment) from , the Philips that uses the same d/a converter; One of the uses i have for it, is using it as a d/a converter. Do any of you know the device, and know if the above described tweaks apply to a device such as this - A Philips employee described this thing as "at the time (of the CD951 and the 800 series, Philips took the best of the high end stuff they had and put it in one box). It was an engineers dream, but didn't sell at all!

any answer would be very welcome!

I own a Studer D731 that is built around TDA1547 and it uses a CDM4/36 transport.

Sounds very analogue, transparent, dynamic, neutral, fluid, precise from top to bottom(brutal bass control). Like somebody mentioned, you listen to the music.

I don´t need more evidences to think that TDA1547 is no more than exellent DAC chip.

But where can I buy couple of them with SAA chip? Old CDP´s?

TDA 1547

Gasho,

You might consider buying such a sound enhancer and play around with it - there's a guy in the north of france who is selling a stock of new ones on ebay.fr - just search for "PURIFICATEUR DE SON
" - they are selling for 50-odd euro. He also sells the "home"-version - that should be about 10 euro cheaper, and is the same as the studio version, but without the balanced inputs (only rca & coax inputs)... If you want more info, contact me...

greetings,

J.

Re: TDA 1547

jaybit said:
Gasho,

You might consider buying such a sound enhancer and play around with it - there's a guy in the north of france who is selling a stock of new ones on ebay.fr - just search for "PURIFICATEUR DE SON
" - they are selling for 50-odd euro. He also sells the "home"-version - that should be about 10 euro cheaper, and is the same as the studio version, but without the balanced inputs (only rca & coax inputs)... If you want more info, contact me...

greetings,

J.
Could not find it on www.ebay.fr

:bawling: :bawling:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.