Marantz CD-50 and CD-60, TDA1541, CDM4/19 - Page 50 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th January 2012, 11:36 AM   #491
Mayday is offline Mayday  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by josha View Post
Think of it like this, the 7220 without it's own PSU is corrupting everything else in the player so by giving it it's own PSU your not just improving that part of the process but every aspect of the player at the same time. This is a MASSIVE improvement!

Changing between a 7805 and a 317 for that PSU will bring improvements but only to that process, so I suspect it is nowhere near as monumental. That said, once you have the dedicated PSU's in place, the clock, decent components and an output stage, any changes then become much more noticeable. I'd be very interested to know if there is big difference between the TPR and standard 317/7805 implementations, I may be able to find out if I haven't already destroyed my stock of 317's!!

I've made some big mistakes with my player also, the worst was rebuilding a PSU for the 7220 and getting the resistors the wrong way round. You guessed it, I didn't check it and promptly delivered a whopping 12v+ to the 7220! It put up a good fight though! (briefly, before dying).
Yeah, I know the big gain is in the separate PS itself but it'd be fun to know how good the tpr really is since it's relatively cheap and easy to build.

I wonder if there's much difference in noise from the tpr building it with a trimpot instead of LED's as voltage reference as I've done.

Ouch, that didn't make you very happy I bet. That is one of the reasons all IC's will get sockets in my DAC build, if one of them fails I want it to be easy to replace.

With these kind of crappy philips boards I can imagine it being a real pain de-soldering any IC if you don't want to damage the board.

Really glad I'm taking the IC's for the DAC build from a board I don't care if I destroy in the process.
Old 7th January 2012, 01:52 PM   #492
diyAudio Member

Default question

Hy, i'm trying to modify my Marantz cd-50. So far i have replaced the original op-amps with some high-en ones from texas instruments; the next thing on list is a separate power supply for the 7220 chip. Can somebody tell me what voltage and max current does this chip require? Thank you in advance.
Old 7th January 2012, 02:07 PM   #493
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by candrei View Post
Hy, i'm trying to modify my Marantz cd-50. So far i have replaced the original op-amps with some high-en ones from texas instruments; the next thing on list is a separate power supply for the 7220 chip. Can somebody tell me what voltage and max current does this chip require? Thank you in advance.
SAA7220 works from 4,5 to 5,5Vdc, so as close to +5Vdc as possible.

Typical current is 180mA according to datasheet.
Old 7th January 2012, 02:09 PM   #494
diyAudio Member

Default thnx

Thank you very much. I hope i can bulid a decent ps using the lm317 and the scheme from the data sheet.
Old 7th January 2012, 02:22 PM   #495
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayday View Post
With these kind of crappy philips boards I can imagine it being a real pain de-soldering any IC if you don't want to damage the board.
For me Solder Suckers suck !
Since I mastered solder wick braid I don't seem to be damaging anything anymore.
Have you tried it yet ?
I practiced on an old smps for a while until I found the ideal and lowest temperature and have not looked back since.
It removes the lot to the point where the components almost fall out on their own.
Also 63 / 37 solder is nice and soft and melts at a low temp - so re work stuff is not a problem either using the solder wick.
Old 7th January 2012, 02:30 PM   #496
UV101 is offline UV101  England
diyAudio Member

Never measured the currrent to the 7220 but the data sheet bs the reg temp tells me 180mA may be optimistic!!! I should really test it and see!!!

When I worked in the TV repair shop, we made our own solder sucking braid from tv coax. Remove the middle and the braid and flux it yourself then store in the coax outer casing. Very messy but nothing you can buy comes anywhere near! Pumps can be very good but they can also be hit and miss once the silicone tip is worn.
Old 7th January 2012, 02:51 PM   #497
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UV101 View Post
Never measured the currrent to the 7220 but the data sheet bs the reg temp tells me 180mA may be optimistic!!! I should really test it and see!!!

When I worked in the TV repair shop, we made our own solder sucking braid from tv coax. Remove the middle and the braid and flux it yourself then store in the coax outer casing. Very messy but nothing you can buy comes anywhere near! Pumps can be very good but they can also be hit and miss once the silicone tip is worn.
Don't know what tip mine has but it doesn't seem effected even when put next to my iron at the hottest setting(450 C).

About the regs, I still haven't gotten around to testing the TPR with more than approximately 100mA.

I actually don't know the theory behind TPR, is the last LM317 doing the regulating or are they somehow helping each other?
Old 7th January 2012, 02:52 PM   #498
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewGM View Post
For me Solder Suckers suck !
Since I mastered solder wick braid I don't seem to be damaging anything anymore.
Have you tried it yet ?
I practiced on an old smps for a while until I found the ideal and lowest temperature and have not looked back since.
It removes the lot to the point where the components almost fall out on their own.
Also 63 / 37 solder is nice and soft and melts at a low temp - so re work stuff is not a problem either using the solder wick.
Haven't tried wick yet as the ones I had where so old the copper had oxidated lol!
Old 7th January 2012, 02:56 PM   #499
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by candrei View Post
Thank you very much. I hope i can bulid a decent ps using the lm317 and the scheme from the data sheet.
I built this one, hasn't been tested with the SAA7220 yet though. Only w 100mA load so far.
Click the image to open in full size.

Schematic. Elcos should be cheap high esr I was told.
Click the image to open in full size.

Please note that IC1 adj PIN is NOT connected to Vin.

Last edited by Mayday; 7th January 2012 at 03:05 PM.
Old 7th January 2012, 03:17 PM   #500
UV101 is offline UV101  England
diyAudio Member

Eh!! Cheap high esr!!!!

Hide this!Advertise here!