Marantz CD-50 and CD-60, TDA1541, CDM4/19 - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th November 2011, 09:23 PM   #31
UV101 is offline UV101  England
diyAudio Member

I wouldn't start to look at separate PSU's until you've done most of what I've already suggested. When you've done the basic's, then look at multiple transformers. Regulation is very often overlooked even here on the forum. If you want to jump from very good to real Hi End killer, you need decent regulation. I always use decent commercial regs for any kit I'm keeping ;-) You can always move them when you want! Having said that, as Josha says, there's lots to learn building 317/337 regs ;-)

That Clock that Josha has linked to is extremely good VFM and you can utilise the /2 and /4 as per my clocking instructions I linked to previously.

Those caps you mentioned previously, I'd use the larger value Nichicons, elna and FC's in parallel as smoothers or the Nichicons as singles after the regs. the main reason for suggesting the others is space. If you can use a single cap above and another below, its going to be tidier. That TSUP I suggested 22,000uF/16v should only cost about £4 in the UK. The higher voltage ones are a bit more but you could drop to 10,000uF to keep costs down.

OsCons are great on digital rails in newer players albeit that there are plenty of solid polymer elco's that are better now (same as Oscon SEPC) In the CD50, I would stick to std elco's as there are no dedicated digital supply pins on the various chips. In later players, you find that a chip may have a digital supply pin and an analogue supply pin. Thats where is would use different caps dependant on rail type.

The National Semiconductor LM4562 is the same chip as LME49720 ;-) If you want to really treat yourself get the HA suffix version of either! Some say that the HA (TO-99) versions are identical to the NA (8DIL) but I disagree. For a start they run much hotter which would suggest they are not the same! Quite expensive tho!

Last edited by UV101; 30th November 2011 at 09:25 PM.
Old 30th November 2011, 09:41 PM   #32
Mayday is offline Mayday  Sweden
diyAudio Member

My bad, I looked at TSUP 22000uF/80V (I think it was).

Thanks again! Gathering info and parts before I go further with this project and then on to the CD-50 when finished with this one
Old 30th November 2011, 10:16 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

Seems I have to have a registered company to buy any TSUP from any Swedish site I've found...

Can someone link me to where I can get one?
Old 30th November 2011, 10:23 PM   #34
diyAudio Member

I can buy singles in the UK, not sure how it will work for you.

TSUP 22,000uF/16v

Is there anything similar you can get? You could also try Farnell.

Worst case, if you pay me the cost plus postage, I'll get one and send it to you? its possibly worth seeing if there are some other bits you might need at the same time?
Old 30th November 2011, 10:42 PM   #35
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UV101 View Post
I can buy singles in the UK, not sure how it will work for you.

TSUP 22,000uF/16v

Is there anything similar you can get? You could also try Farnell.

Worst case, if you pay me the cost plus postage, I'll get one and send it to you? its possibly worth seeing if there are some other bits you might need at the same time?
RS redirects me to their Swedish site, both rs and farnell require that you buy from a company...

Found on ebay:
10000uf 16v Philips 056 Snap in 056 55103 Cap 85c
10000uf 16v 85c Vishay 038 RSU Electrolytic 35mmx18mm
16V 22000uf Electrolytic Capacitor Radial Rubycon MXR

On a Swedish site:
22000uF 16V

Not sure what to look for...

Last edited by Mayday; 30th November 2011 at 10:59 PM.
Old 1st December 2011, 08:19 AM   #36
diyAudio Member

Anything that big (uF) will be an improvement.

The reason for specifying the TSUPs if becuase they have a relatively low ESR which will result in less noise on the PSU and they are cheap compared to some "for audio" caps. Again it depends on budget and what ultimately you expect from the player. In my own kit, I actually use Mundorf SI M-lytics. These are better then the TSUPs but cost approx £11 for 22,000uF/25v. As always, it depends on budget.
Old 1st December 2011, 08:26 AM   #37
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UV101 View Post
Anything that big (uF) will be an improvement.

The reason for specifying the TSUPs if becuase they have a relatively low ESR which will result in less noise on the PSU and they are cheap compared to some "for audio" caps. Again it depends on budget and what ultimately you expect from the player. In my own kit, I actually use Mundorf SI M-lytics. These are better then the TSUPs but cost approx £11 for 22,000uF/25v. As always, it depends on budget.
So, low ESR and as big as I can afford
Old 1st December 2011, 09:58 AM   #38
diyAudio Member

Might be able to get 2pcs 22000uF/25V TSU(replaced by TSUP) from what I've read.
These 2 are not too expensive..
Any good?
Old 1st December 2011, 12:39 PM   #39
diyAudio Member

Looking at the specs for the TSUP 22,000uF/16v they are quoting 0.038ohm ESR - not sure how they will compare to the TSU's but I would think they will be favourable.

Those SI caps I use are 22,000uF/25v 5400mA ripple 0.014ohm ESR. There are a few on eBay. They are all made by F&T but can be purchased as Audio Upgrades SI and Mundorf SI
Old 1st December 2011, 12:56 PM   #40
diyAudio Member

Thanks! I really appreciate you taking the time to help

While searching ebay I came across these, any good in the spots you put the Mundorfs?

Hide this!Advertise here!