Not sure the best fit for this thread, but this is close

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
"We don't need high quality, look, 80% cannot hear the difference"
If I take part of those experiments, I just become part of their raionale (the "other" 20%).
But the rationale is flawed from the start, so why bother? 80% of deaf people cannot make a difference between two formats... and the ones that concoct the tests will tell you that proves that the formats are identical.

If ONE person detects the difference then the formats are DIFFERENT. You need a different test to weed out the guessing - more files, same persons.
One file proves nothing statistically about the formats, just about the population.

Personally, I know that most of the present music is compressed in studio - for the use of those 80% "iPod generation".
I prefer not to ruin it further by lossy compression. Storage space is cheap today, lossy formats are dying dinosauros, kept alive by the some distribution companies (part of bussiness model).

Last edited:
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Storage space is cheap today, lossy formats are dying dinosauros, kept alive by the some distribution companies (part of bussiness model).

might depend on which end of the 'food chain' you are

just a few days ago I thought the same, 'hey, it can only get better, when they continue to devellop better and better compression'
Im by far not so sure any more
especially when I experience my precious radio signal detoriate like it does now

I talked about these matters with a friend
said he found some music he had missed since his youth
sounds pretty good, dont you think, he said
I could only crumble my toes and bite my tongue
its was probably ok, to most people
to me it was barely average
sound was 'ok', but nothing to get excited about
thats the main problem
it sounds fine, and the majority of people likes it
so whats the point of making it better than that
I surely do not like the perspectives
its lifeless machine music

and the real pitty is that we cant even blame digital music reproduction any more
despite what some still think and claim, digital reproduction have become really good
or at least it can be
but now its humans destroying it

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.