Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Closed Thread

Old 9th November 2011, 07:16 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default A STRANGE REPLY

To: Jan-Peter van Amerongen [Hypex Electronics bv]

Hi Jan

May I replace the original voltage regulator LM323AT in my Poppulse 1796MKII DAC with your HPR12?

Thank you

Best Regards

leandro

Italy

P.S. When do you think to launch your NCore amplifier?

The Hypex's reply:

Leandro

You can do with your product as you wish.
If you want to change you voltage regulator in your dac it is at your own risk.
If you buy a HpR from us it is yours and you can do with it what you want.

The first DIY Ncore we hope to release at the end of this year.

Best regards

Sincerely, I don't understand this reply. And you? It's unusual from Hypex

Dardo Groeneveld

Old 9th November 2011, 07:25 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

It's got to do with English.

'May I?' asks for permission.

A reply in this vein is sarcastic, maybe he was having a tough day.

Old 9th November 2011, 07:51 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Given that I received not real good responses from hypex guys in the past, I used this form knowingly, but as you can see, the replies don't change. Am I unlucky?

Old 10th November 2011, 05:56 AM   #4
jitter is offline jitter  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Some Dutch people have a tendency to give straight answers in a style that might be conceived as impolite or even rude by others. This may not be intentional.
Even within our country, differences between North (where Hypex is located) and the South (where I'm from) can be felt tis way, and I too would be somewhat offended by the blunt answer...

Old 10th November 2011, 06:32 AM   #5
UrSv is offline UrSv  Sweden
diyAudio Member

What is strange or bad about the answer? You ask a question that couldn't possibly be of any interest to Hypex as you are dealing with a product that they do not have anything to do with. If you stuff your Fiat full off bananas why would Fyffes care about what you do with the bananas?

As far as I can see it is a perfectly good answer which is nice and friendly. It is short and concise and I would be very happy to get it as the core part of it has nothing to do with Hypex products.

Old 10th November 2011, 09:56 AM   #6
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

When I first read this I assumed that you were asking the maker of your DAC about an unofficial DIY upgrade to it. The content of their reply seemed unsurprising, although the tone was rather abrupt. Most manufacturers don't take kindly to other people 'improving' their products.

Now I realise that you were asking the maker of the device whether you can apply it to a particular DAC. They may know nothing about this DAC. Is their device aimed particularly at the DAC 'upgrade' market?

Old 10th November 2011, 10:05 AM   #7
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
, I don't understand this reply. And you? It's unusual from Hypex
To me it is crystal clear. What did you expect? A detailed description how to go about it? Can you imagine their work day if they had to reply to every question about modding audio equipment? I'm suprised they would even reply to that.

Also. You asked "May I" the answer is of course you may. It is yours. As mentioned by counter culture. However I'm not sure the answer is sarcastic. Many Dutch will not try to prescribe what a person may or may not do. Therefore I think the answer was matter-of-fact.

And thirdly as mentioned by jitter. The Dutch are straightforward. Language is used to convey information. Not to maintain a relationship. As would be the case in lets say for example Japan.

Last edited by Bas Horneman; 10th November 2011 at 10:10 AM.

Old 10th November 2011, 10:41 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrSv View Post
If you stuff your Fiat full off bananas why would Fyffes care about what you do with the bananas?

Loved this

Old 10th November 2011, 10:47 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

I don't know how it sound for a dutch, but for a normal person that answer is condescendent and even insulting...
They took extra time to say in veiled words "we don't care what you do with our stuff, we don't care if it will work, we just want your money". It is not just a copy/paste answer, it was deliberate.

He was asking if their stabilizer will be able to replace another integrated stabilizer. A clear technical question, that deserved a yes or a no.
He wasn't asking for bananas in a Fiat... He was asking something more like: "would your tire replace this original tire on a Fiat?"

Regarding the english grammar lessons to their customers - maybe they can make money from that. I would not buy anything from them.

Last edited by SoNic_real_one; 10th November 2011 at 10:54 AM.

Old 10th November 2011, 10:52 AM   #10
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
normal person
normality is partly determined by culture. In the Netherlands they are normal. In the US of A perhaps seen as arrogant.

Closed Thread

Hide this!Advertise here!