A STRANGE REPLY

Status
Not open for further replies.
To: Jan-Peter van Amerongen [Hypex Electronics bv]

Hi Jan

May I replace the original voltage regulator LM323AT in my Poppulse 1796MKII DAC with your HPR12?

Thank you

Best Regards

leandro

Italy

P.S. When do you think to launch your NCore amplifier?

The Hypex's reply:

Leandro

You can do with your product as you wish.
If you want to change you voltage regulator in your dac it is at your own risk.
If you buy a HpR from us it is yours and you can do with it what you want.

The first DIY Ncore we hope to release at the end of this year.

Best regards

Sincerely, I don't understand this reply. And you? It's unusual from Hypex

Dardo Groeneveld

Some Dutch people have a tendency to give straight answers in a style that might be conceived as impolite or even rude by others. This may not be intentional.
Even within our country, differences between North (where Hypex is located) and the South (where I'm from) can be felt tis way, and I too would be somewhat offended by the blunt answer...

What is strange or bad about the answer? You ask a question that couldn't possibly be of any interest to Hypex as you are dealing with a product that they do not have anything to do with. If you stuff your Fiat full off bananas why would Fyffes care about what you do with the bananas?

As far as I can see it is a perfectly good answer which is nice and friendly. It is short and concise and I would be very happy to get it as the core part of it has nothing to do with Hypex products.

When I first read this I assumed that you were asking the maker of your DAC about an unofficial DIY upgrade to it. The content of their reply seemed unsurprising, although the tone was rather abrupt. Most manufacturers don't take kindly to other people 'improving' their products.

Now I realise that you were asking the maker of the device whether you can apply it to a particular DAC. They may know nothing about this DAC. Is their device aimed particularly at the DAC 'upgrade' market?

, I don't understand this reply. And you? It's unusual from Hypex
To me it is crystal clear. What did you expect? A detailed description how to go about it? Can you imagine their work day if they had to reply to every question about modding audio equipment? I'm suprised they would even reply to that.

Also. You asked "May I" the answer is of course you may. It is yours. As mentioned by counter culture. However I'm not sure the answer is sarcastic. Many Dutch will not try to prescribe what a person may or may not do. Therefore I think the answer was matter-of-fact.

And thirdly as mentioned by jitter. The Dutch are straightforward. Language is used to convey information. Not to maintain a relationship. As would be the case in lets say for example Japan.

Last edited:
I don't know how it sound for a dutch, but for a normal person that answer is condescendent and even insulting...
They took extra time to say in veiled words "we don't care what you do with our stuff, we don't care if it will work, we just want your money". It is not just a copy/paste answer, it was deliberate.

He was asking if their stabilizer will be able to replace another integrated stabilizer. A clear technical question, that deserved a yes or a no.
He wasn't asking for bananas in a Fiat... He was asking something more like: "would your tire replace this original tire on a Fiat?"

Regarding the english grammar lessons to their customers - maybe they can make money from that. I would not buy anything from them.

Last edited:
I suppose the real issue is to what extent should the question be modified into what the questioner probably meant to ask? This is easier when both ends of the conversation belong to the same culture.

I suppose the OP could write back, thanking them for their detailed response, and then ask the right question. If someone is playing a game, then sometimes you have to play along for a while - especially if for them it is not a game but just a normal response in their culture.

Most English people would now say "Can I open the window?" even though they actually mean "May I open the window?". The distinction seems to have almost disappeared from speech, although folk of my generation still recognise the difference and probably respect it when writing.

The issue facing the OP is not permission or ability, but likely outcome - will it actually work?

I had a chat with Dardo - apparently he'd taken the question quite literally as meaning "does Hypex mind if their regulators are used outside their amplifier modules". It's not exactly the most likely interpretation but that's how he took it, hence the silly answer for which we apologise.

(I suppose we have to accept that we live in a world where almost everyone speaks mutually unintelligible languages and that the one safe haven - English - is most people's second or third language. For those fortunate enough to speak English as a first and only language the world must seem like a wonderfully lucid and unambiguous place where every word means only one thing and the border between factual statements and jibes is clear and well-guarded but anyone else has to guess meaning across cultural barriers. Dardo guessed wrong when interpreting the auxiliary "may", I hope I can prevail on you guys not to interpret his response in the most unfelicitous light. However it may be, I'd like to offer our unreserved apologies.)

To business: the HPR12 can be used to replace other 12V regulators but you have to be quite on your guard against oscillations because the thing is so fast. You really need to take care to connect the 2 kelvin sense pins directly across the decoupling capacitor through 2 separate traces (or, when modding, wires). The decoupling cap should either be at least 4uF when it is film only or a combination of an electrolytic and a smaller film/ceramic cap.

I don't know the DAC in question so unfortunately I can't predict how easy or complicated the exercise will turn out.

For the moment there aren't any plans to make a 5V version of the HPR. You might check if any of Tentlabs' offering suits your needs.

Hi
May I, Can I, I wish to, what is the difference? Dardo understood very well what I meant. Hypex sells these voltage regulators and my DAC has a voltage regulator, LM323AT; I wrote this email to obtain some information about the replacement. Ok, maybe the form " My I" isn't correct for you but I use it frequently with English and American Diyers without any problem.

Sonic_real_One
"I don't know how it sound for a dutch, but for a normal person that answer is condescendent and even insulting...
They took extra time to say in veiled words "we don't care what you do with our stuff, we don't care if it will work, we just want your money". It is not just a copy/paste answer, it was deliberate.

He was asking if their stabilizer will be able to replace another integrated stabilizer. A clear technical question, that deserved a yes or a no"

Yes, this was my intention: a clear technical question but the Dardo's reply was impolite not sarcastic; probably he was busy, maybe he was having a tough day. I could understand but not justify, above all from a famous company as Hypex. A tough day, nothing else. And I don't think all Dutchs are impolite.

UrSv
"What is strange or bad about the answer? You ask a question that couldn't possibly be of any interest to Hypex as you are dealing with a product that they do not have anything to do with. If you stuff your Fiat full off bananas why would Fyffes care about what you do with the bananas?"

Sorry, but I don't understand your statement: Banana, Fiat, what does it mean? In my opinion this is only a silly assertion.

I own two DIY 600 watts Mono Class D amplifiers since four years; I bought the modules from EcoTec Systems Ltd (600W Amplifier Products). They drive my Magneplanar 3.3/R superbly: a lot of details, clear sound and huge soundstage. Well, six months ago a a module broke; I did contact the guys at EcoTec and they repaired the amplifier charge free (only the shipping cost).

It's my intention to build an amplifier with Hypex Ncore technology to compare it with my EcoTec mono amp.

Status
Not open for further replies.